simple party setup....

penguineer

Full time elf
I've been thinking about doing some form of mobile setup that I could carry on the motorbike to rallies and parties and such. Something better than basic strings and potentially able to run off a spare care or bike battery.

This is the first incarnation:

christmas-lights-magic-masters-box-1024.jpg~original

It's not sequenced, but by running each of the three strings seperately using different built-in effects, or even the same effect at different speeds, there should be a good twinkly, blinky, flashy effect.

I can take this various places and use the lights as party lighting or even a small RGB tree as long as I have a post or wall I can cable tie onto.....

Pixel strings might be next years project......

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
Well, this didn't last long.......after about 30 minutes the power supply overheated, killed itself and tripped the safety switch for that circuit.

The power brick should have been able to handle the load just fine, but I had not run the setup for an extended period before with the lid closed.......

Haven't checked the controllers yet, but hope they're unaffected

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Did the power supply come with the controllers? I usually throw away the ones that come with those type of sets. They are dodgy to say the least.

penguineer

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
Did the power supply come with the controllers? I usually throw away the ones that come with those type of sets. They are dodgy to say the least.

Yeah - it's the one supplied with the controllers. I've already binned one of the power leads that had exposed wiring at one end.

I was thinking of using another power supply to test the controllers for damage individually and then look for a better quality power supply - preferably the same sort of "brick" type rather than the switchmode type usually seen in lighting displays here.

Might open up the power supply to have a look at it before binning though.

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Mean Well also make nice brick style power supplies. We use them at work a lot after having way too many failures in the field, even with (generic) ones bought in Australia.

penguineer

Full time elf
Looks like all the controllers work fine, no damage.

David_AVD said:
Mean Well also make nice brick style power supplies. We use them at work a lot after having way too many failures in the field, even with (generic) ones bought in Australia.

Is there a local source for these?

I figured that even a locally sold power brick should be better as it has a few more standards to pass (although wether that's just a few extra bits on the label is another matter).....

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I can get you a price on a Mean Well unit. PM the details (voltage and current) and I'll get back to you.

We tried ones from Altronics and WES, but had both fail in the field.

penguineer

Full time elf
Just to update this a little - somehow I managed to completely fluff the calculations for how much power each string draws(I know I did do them!!) .

After taking a little time to actually think - the power brick was trying to supply approximately two and a half times more current than it was rated for!

As supplied, the power brick should have enough grunt for *one* string.

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
After some assistance from David I have reworked this with a better quality(and higher output!!) MeanWell power brick (Part GS120A12 - 12V, 8.5A).

Layout has been modified to accomodate the larger MeanWell and the PSU is held in place with velcro rather than a wire freezer tie.

Version 1.1:
christmas-lights-magic-masters-box-1-1-1024.jpg~original

The 240V cord can be passed through the box glands and plugged into a wall socket, or kept internal and an extension lead passed into the box the same way(if the box is going to be left in an exposed area).

Haven't left this powered on for any extended time, but the PSU barely generates any heat.......

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
A good result and great kit for parties. :)

Hopefully! There was to be a second attempt at party use last night for a lights on barbie, but everyone cancelled :'( .

As the whole thing runs on 12V I'm looking at being able to connect up a car or motorcycle battery(smaller size, less weight) for "off the grid" use when I go to motorcycle rallies interstate(who knows how long they will be allowed to continue in Qld?).

Other ideas for the future include using pixel strings(12V again) and some of the small controllers with flash storage and interactive inputs to make small transportable elements.....

Cheers!

penguineer

Full time elf
One of the reasons for the three controllers in the box was to allow colours to be set if needed or strings turned off, but they can also be given to kids as "jobs" - making sure that the right colours happen :D

Hey - it's got buttons to push, provides instant feedback and it keeps them distracted for a while.

Just have to make sure they don't ditch the remotes in the garden somewhere.

Cheers!