Simple pixel strobe controller

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Way back when we first talked about using white LED pixels as a strobe effect, there was also discussion of using standard pixels. Obviously they won't be as bright as a dedicated strobe pixel, but would the effect still look ok?

If so, would a dedicated pixel controller that just uses 3 channels (intensity, rate and duration) be worthwhile, or would people rather just do the strobe effect in software?

Anyway, I thought this may let people use a spare WS2801 string and make it easy to program a strobe effect. Good idea? Daft idea?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Please note that Andrew's SSSS idea uses white LEDs. This idea is for using a regular 2801 RGB string. They are two distinct projects with different approaches and goals.

Josh, I'm sure code could be added to a "regular" pixel controller. I was thinking of a dedicated one that the "LOR users" (for want of a better term) could set up and use easily.

Do you think Rate, Intensity and Duration would be the most suitable parameters? That's what stage strobe lights have used for many years now. I realise that Christmas lights is a different application, but the same basics apply.

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
Intensity being the the 0-100% brightness of the LED or the fill of the strobes (strobes on at a time)?

Personally i think the latter would be useful.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Good idea Josh. So this is what you mean?

Intensity - how bright
Rate - how long between flashes
Duration - how long each flash is
Fill - how many to flash each time

kane

Dedicated elf
As discussed in chat, this may be better to be done as an "option" on a universal board (via jumper or otherwise) to simplify things.

If it's going to be universal board, it'll probably need to support 2801, 6803 and 1804, but if strobe only, then 2801 is probably sufficient?

It'd need an easy way to set the dmx starting address.

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
kanebullen said:
As discussed in chat, this may be better to be done as an "option" on a universal board (via jumper or otherwise) to simplify things.

If it's going to be universal board, it'll probably need to support 2801, 6803 and 1804, but if strobe only, then 2801 is probably sufficient?

It'd need an easy way to set the dmx starting address.

I see dipswitches or jumpers, while this is a board increasing space... it's easiest...
9 DMX
2 Protocol
1 Strobe/Normal Function

12 positions, less space then a 3/4 char display and buttons.

What about a program jumper, and modified input?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
No cryptic comments here! :)

All I meant was that DIP switches are really handy for some applications, like setting the address / options without a separate programmer / interface / software.