Software for setting dmx start address, etc

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
There are a few DMX boards now that use the actual DMX stream to set their start address. I know there's a hardware project on DIYC for this, but is it worth me writing a simple software tool to do them same via a DMX dongle?

kool-lites

Full time elf
Do you mean to replace Vixen for your set up?

Personally that is exactly why I when with a Hardware solution.
Let me indulge with my own situation. My Show Computer is stored in a rack. To access Vixen / LSP, I use my office desktop to RDP into the show computer. My office is on the top floor of our two storey house. most of the display is in the front yard. To keep walking up the stairs and change the channels became a pain. Now I just take the battery operated box and change the Address in situ.
Some have suggested it may be smarter to take my $2000 laptop outside and juggle it whilst in the garden running a RDP session. I think not. I prefer my cheapy DMX TXer.

BTW I may be wrong but I think even LSP can be used to send a known value on Channels 1 and 2 of DMX.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The idea came up in chat recently when we were discussing what software can sent "non-zero" start codes.

It was my understanding that none did, but maybe I got the wrong idea.

The existing DMX boards may not need a non-zero start code to set them. I thought it was possibly a good way to set parameters on some of these new boards (with no DIP switches) being developed.

It may turn out that there is no real demand for this proposed software, but you never know until you ask! :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
OK, it seems that this has already been done. I clicked the link for the URL version, but it seems that I need to install some not NET stuff for it to work here.

Phil, maybe delete this thread as it no longer serves a purpose. :)

EDIT: Maybe the best way is for the existing software to be updated to do the alternate start code method. No point in duplicated software.

kool-lites

Full time elf
NO Don't Delete it! David's question is entirely valid. There are several other packages that transmit DMX.

It could also branch off to a Alt Start code discussion.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Not going to delete it...... it think it is valid and i'm not sure Rick is going to do any alt start code stuff, maybe Rick will chime in.

Cheers
Phil

rrowan

New elf
AussiePhil said:
Not going to delete it...... it think it is valid and i'm not sure Rick is going to do any alt start code stuff, maybe Rick will chime in.

Cheers
Phil

Seems like a simple mod.

Are there certain numbers or can it be anything between 00 - FF?

Cheers

Rick R.