Source for CAT5 and 2 core electrical

fj

Apprentice elf
hi there,

I'm having trouble finding cables, Cat5 and 2 core electrical 'lamp cord'. I went to Middy's today but they only have solid core CAT5, Ebay is the same.

Where have you sourced your cables from before?

thanks, fj

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I buy all my 24x0.20 7.5A figure 8 from Bunnings.

I was in there Friday night and notice the 24x0.20 "speaker wire" was $47 for 100M roll and the 24x0.20 Figure 8 was $51 a 100M roll.

The $51 stuff seemed to have slightly thicker insulation and was white not grey.

Can't help with CAT5, still using it from the drums i bought a couple of years ago

Cheers
Phil

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
How much cat 5 are you chasing i buy it by the 305m roll,

fj

Apprentice elf
last time i looked in bunnings i couldn't find anything. i'll go have another look tomorrow.

with the Cat5, i have 32 ssr's to wire up, so 100 mtr roll wouldn't be enough. the 305 mtr would be overkill but i can always use it for next year. i saw 305 mtrs boxes on ebay for $99 but they were solid core.

i read somewhere that solid core is no good for continual movement because it eventually breaks. is that true or should i not be too worried about it?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
for use in the yard, most people would use Solid Core, stranded tends to be expensive.

Once the cabling's in place you will have near zero movement.

Phil

fj

Apprentice elf
ah ok, thanks

i was just looking around for stranded core only. i can find plenty of solid core, Middy's actually had a sale on the stuff. i'll pop back in tomorrow to find out a price.

thanks for the help.

fj

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
fj

the funny thing is i bought 1000M at auction a couple years ago very cheap believing it was solid core, it even behaves like solid core, but found out a couple months ago that is actually stranded.

essentially if i didn't have that i would be using solid core.

Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can get cat 5 stranded cable from Altronics its $1.35 for under 305 metres and is $0.90 for 305 metres to 610 metres and then its $0.80 per metre
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=W2752

Now the wire i bought to run a few RGB things is the 4 core security cable which is rated at 2.2 amps and is $0.30 per metre at clearance price
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=W2341

The 4 core security cable rated at 4.5 amps is on special for $0.80 per metre in 100 metre rolls
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=W2364

Hope that helps