Spinner effect

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Necro-posting is still cool right? :)

I've got a custom prop that I want to basically model as a "spinner".

If I use the default spinner model - I can put a single line effect on it - and it will just go through spoke by spoke without any effort or config.
In my custom model - I'm trying various iterations of submodes and groups - but I can't seem to replicate that effect (at least - not with individually calling the on effect for each spoke). Is there away to simulate that setup with a custom model?

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
Play with the render styles and see if that helps, perhaps per preview. You could also try using the pinwheel effect

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
In your custom model, make a submodel with one row (strand) per arm. Set this submodel to a vertical layout. (Alternatively, make a submodel with one row(strand) per ring, which will have its uses as well.) The default, or several other render styles, will do what the default single strand does on spinner.

SpinnerSub.png

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Thanks @merryoncherry - Vertical Buffer Layout did the trick.

One more complication -- I've got a single central pixel - that I would like to light up with every row/strand/spoke. As it stands though - it only lights up with the first one. Any ideas for doing that?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
I think the problem there is that the effect renders to a rectangular buffer, then the pixels get their colors from somewhere in that buffer. Since a pixel can't be two colors at once, it really only looks in one place. (It might be interesting to say "give me the brightest" or something blend-like, but that's only available across layers and models, not within one.) Anything that you try to do there shows up with a freindly warning in "Check Sequence".

I'd say look into @Danielr's suggestion of effects other than single-strand. These will be more portable to other scenarios, too.