Spiral tree frames

dale82

Senior elf
Just a thought, in the Visualiser just draw 2 lines exactly the same height and side by side and use the colour slider macro. I think that should work

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Ladies and Gents,
Is there any chance that the actual manufacturer is listed anywhere on your "spiral tree trainers"?
Since we don't have Bunnings here, and my searches have turned up nothing, I would like to contact them directly to find out about getting these here in the states.
Thanks

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I am guessing that means you found them. If so it might pay to put a link up here for the USA members :)

algerdes

Al Gerdes
"Spiral Obelisk" is what they were under (not "spiral plant trainer" as I was looking for before.)

Believe it or not, WALMART has their dual spiral version in the stores around here. The single spiral wasn't in the store. There are several Walmart "partners" that have the single spiral version. You can order from them for in-store pickup. No shipping charges.

I'm looking for other suppliers. (Not that keen on "Walmart", but won't be a bigot if they are the only way to get them here. :) )

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
These are the ones I bought from Bunnings approx. 12 months ago. They also came in a 1.2m version. Not sure if they still stock them thou. At least these labels have the product code and manufacturer, so they may be able to be tracked down.

Attachments

• Bunnings Spiral Obelisk.pdf
    504.7 KB · Views: 63

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:
yes that's exactly what I am trying to do, I have tried the colour macro slider, but it seems to not be working exactly how I want, it more outs every thing on, then does a spin... re your issue, in the visualiser are they two trees draw at exactly the same height?

I have four trees and can't say they are exactly the same height - I wasn't that careful when drawing them in. However, it seems that when they spiral down or up etc, the left one goes slightly before the next one which goes slightly ahead of the next one etc. I would be surprised if they happened to coincidently be just a little shorter in the visualiser going from left to right but I might check. Last year I drew, then removed, then redrew them several times and they always went one slightly behind the other going from left to right even though they were all on the same layer so the macro should have been applied at the same time to each tree but that never happened.

http://youtu.be/yNQT6iJc8Lg

You can see the four pixel tres either side of the megatree in the video above. When the effect is applied quickly, it's hard to see one starting slightly behind the next but in the slower macros it is quite obvious.

Baf05

Full time elf
dale82 said:
Just a thought, in the Visualiser just draw 2 lines exactly the same height and side by side and use the colour slider macro. I think that should work
I have thought about doing that, or even trying to draw the spiral...., and was my next step in trying to get it to work, will let you know. :)

battle79

Full time elf
It's probably overkill for most, but I drew each spiral as a zigzag pattern that gets smaller as it goes up.

Was only way in the end I could get colour sweeps to work nicely across my whole display.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88gHa1-utIcWWhrRXdhWWVfRkk/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
Rowan

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Is there an advantage to using strip instead of strings? other than the ease of the build.

I did 12 trees last year with dumb RGB strings and it took forever to attach basically every bulb.

I think you way makes a lot more sense.

mborg10

Michael Borg
InTheSpirit said:
Is there an advantage to using strip instead of strings? other than the ease of the build.

I did 12 trees last year with dumb RGB strings and it took forever to attach basically every bulb.

For me strip kept pixels equal spaced and just had to be zip tied onto frame. I found that the best waterproofing is found on strip and modules which is what I try and use now. Pixels have there place but have been a bit hit and miss with waterproofing.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
InTheSpirit said:

The problem I found when I first tried using strip was that a lot of the lights face backwards as they go around the spirals which means you miss out on a lot of the lights and you don't get as smooth a spiral effect because you can't see all those lights. I thought it looked better using the billet style pixel strings as you could see all the lights well. They are a bit of a fiddle though so it was ok for my small number of four trees . If you wanted a small forest of those trees, it would take a long time to attach all those lights. Perhaps if someone who has used strip could post a vid of their trees spiralling etc to see how it looks. If it seems good enough with strip, well that would by far be a quicker way of attaching the lights.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A double sided strip would do the trick, but I've not seen any. Using two strips back to back is possible but getting expensive.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
On my way to completing 10 and yes fiddly. 50 pixels x 10 = 500. Only 3100 more to cable tie somewhere. :-X

Attachments

• small tree1.jpg
    small tree1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 99
  • small tree.jpg
    small tree.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 85