Split a matrix into 2 or create 2 shadow models?

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
Hi,

I am creating a garage matrix this year and with the design it will be split into sections so that we can open either side of the garage when we want too. So on the left side of the garage will be 2 smart receivers feeding 8 string which will be zig zag 6 times with 288 pixels on each string running horizontal from bottom left and on the right side of the garage will be another 2 smart receivers with 8 strings in the same config except they will run horizontal from bottom right. Essentially it will look like one big matrix at the end of the day and that's how I want to model it in Xlights as if it was just a single matrix. I will then create some sub models such as a garage outline, horizontal top, vertical left and vertical right etc.

So in Xlights should I just create one big matrix and then create 2 shadow models that will get uploaded to FPP to reflect the actual configuration (i.e 8 strings on one side and 8 strings on the other side)? Or do I create two matrices? If I create 2 matrices, I would then need to group them for sequencing and I'm wondering if that will create any issues, especially for sub models such as the horizontals.

Thankyou for your input.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'd probably set them up as 2 separate models based on being physically connected to 2 different controller outputs. Its easy to combine both left & right models in a group and call it garage matrix and apply effects to that group and it will treat it all as one item, but still have the flexibility to sequence the individual left & right sections too as required.
As an example, My roofline across the top ridge is actually split in half and fed by 2 different controller outputs from left & right. But I group them both to be in my "Roof Top" group, and then that group is contained within "Roof All" (includes side and gutters) and to look at you would not know the difference when I apply a single line chase around the whole roof.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
I’ve split it into two separate models and sub modeled everything. My problem is how do I assign it to two smart receivers? I want to have it on ports 37-40 a and 37-40 b for one of them and 41-44 a and 42-44 b on the other side. When I go to visualizer and drop one of them it automatically puts it on ports 37-44 (understandably). Is there a way I can split it on 4 ports on A and 4 ports on B? I’m guessing I’ll have to set up shadow models?

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
Just to clarify. I have a kulp controller. I will have two receivers daisy chained on one side of the garage (37-40 A and B) and two receivers daisy chained on the other side of the garage (41-44 A and B).

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
Yeah I think I will have to break it down into 4 shadow models