Standalone DMX Recorder/Player devices

budude

Way behind schedule - again...
I could certainly see possible uses for a standalone DMX player - maybe not so much for the recorder. How about of instead of putting in the bits for recording, you just create a plug-in for Vixen (or a standalone DMX sequence "player") that will write the DMX stream to a file on the PC. You then simply copy that file to an SD card, insert into the player and - well - hit Play! Anyway - just a thought to possibly simplify things...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
My design goal is to record the DMX stream of a conventional lighting desk and play it back upon command.

Using an SD card actually complicates the design a lot. Also, I think someone else is doing a SD card player in the not too distant future.

As for a scheduler, that is probably something an SD card based unit would be more suited to.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I have now finished the board design. It is mostly a through hole design with only a few SMD parts.

Features:
  • DMX input - RJ45 with activity and power LEDs
  • DMX output - RJ45 with activity and mode LEDs
  • Record button
  • Play button
  • Play trigger - contact input
  • Play trigger - isolated voltage input
  • Aux trigger - contact input for future use (stop?)
  • Output that pulls low during playback
  • Room for 1 or 2 16M flash memory chips

It's powered from 5Vdc and includes over-voltage & reverse polarity protection.

The DMX input is electrically isolated and wired as per the accepted standard.

I have designed it to fit into a small plastic enclosure that is 60mm x 80mm x 30mm.

No firmware has been written for it yet. It is based on a PIC18F46K20-I/PT chip.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice work David, I look forward to maybe getting my hands on one next year to possibly use some of my lights for garden lighting

elagarrigue

New elf
Hi David and everyone here,
I just discovered this topic and I am very interested in it.
I am a visual artist working these times to realise light sculptures. As I am not used to DMX universe, I found 2 sofwares that allows me to program DMX in a visual (ie timeline) way: Lumidmx and enttec DMXiS (dmx inside an audio software).
But I need the sculpture to run by itself, without computer, so I was looking for a recorder/player that records the whole DMX stream, not just playing DMX programs. The only one I found is the Enttec DMXStreamer, which costs ... 630 euros !
And I found this topic ...
My goal is to record 1 to 8 channels, and have them playback and loop automatically at stratup: quite simple, isn't it ?
But I'd like to have more record time: from 5-10 mn in an 8-channels project to 1h30mn for a 1-channel project.
So my questions :
- Is the available record time depending on the number of channels used ?
- How much time would be available with the maximum flash cards ?
- and at last ... how could I get one of this wonderful thing ? Do I have to soldier it by myself ? will the board be available ?
Thanks very much for your future help and congratulations again,
Emmanuel (from Paris, France)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I have some bare PCBs now, but doubt I'll get time to write the firmware this year.

The record time is a function of how many channels and the size of the FLASH memory chip. I may be able to make a different versions of the firmware for less channels and more time.

I have no plans to design an SD card based unit at this stage.

The boards will be sold built and tested sometime early 2011.

elagarrigue

New elf
thanks David, I'll check this forum on a regular basis.
have a merry christmas and nice NYE !
Emmanuel

JonB256

Full time elf
David - any progress on this? I'm looking at putting some waterproof pixels on a floating platform in my pool and having a recorded DMX sequence would eliminate any tether. Small battery for the lights and DMX recorder, perhaps a small solar panel for a trickle charge. Single universe, only 48 or 96 channels.

JonB256

Full time elf
Great - I did just run across the picture you posted of the board. This looks very promising for my use (and the other person's Garden Lighting).

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Not trying to bet David to the kill, but the e2 device is gettting very close to complete, and one of its many functions is a recorder, and a subsequent upgrade to firmware that i'm planning will add a scheduler to it. Its got a micro-sd card, ( see bottom left corner of the big board ), it can record from E1.31 or DMX and play back to E.131 or DMX, and also is capable of driving up to four strings of Pixels.. onboard power DC/DC power supply means it can be located a fair distance away from a 24-48VDC power supply and not have to worry too much about voltage drop...

For those that are interested, i'll be bringing this to the Melbourne Mini, and i expect to have it ready for general release in about 4 weeks time.

250350_10150203611322661_645277660_6885157_4915221_n.jpg

JonB256

Full time elf
We had a 39C day yesterday. I can't come to the Mini or the temperature shock would kill me. But I will keep watching. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The DMX recorder that im interested in is for use with my garden lights which are not pixel based but instead just normal RGB DC lights. The LOR CCRs already have a recording feature for pixel based lighting. The DMX recorder that would get my eye would be a stand alone recorder that could have whatever DMX controller hooked up to it, that way im able to intergrate existing garden lights into my show and have them working during the year without using a computer to drive the controller.

Seems like 2 different approaches for the recorder so thats great as it gives us all choices and options.