Standalone setup - FPP and ESPixelStick?

Macboy

New elf
I’m trying to set up a stand-alone system using the FPP wireless network being broadcast from the Pi and one ESPixelStick. What I cannot figure out is where to determine what IP address I need to assign to the PixelStick so it can connect to the Pi.

I’ve been digging around for an answer to this but it all keeps coming back to search results pointing to finding or setting IP addresses for the Pi itself. I thought maybe I could use DHCP on the PixelStick but that didn't seem to work so now I have one PixelStick that I think I need to reflash so I can reassign the original (show network) IP address.

Macboy

New elf
Sometimes Christmas lights drive me crazy ;)

So, after a long day of sporadic tinkering with this I’ve managed to get the pixel stick to connect to the network being broadcast by the Pi, verified through the pixel stick device setup web UI test functions. Now it’s the “one little setting” I missed somewhere to get the Pi to make the lights connected to the wifi receiver (Pixel Stick) blink.....

Has anybody ever setup a standalone system like this? Imagine just walking to the middle of nowhere with nothing but an FPP loaded Pi, a wifi pixel stick and a power supply. Could you make the lights blink? If so, how?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Not sure if it is legit, but it seems like he knows a thing or two. ;-)

That's Jeff (Canispater Christmas); Texas I believe. Yes he is legit. He likes dogs, loves Christmas RGB lighting and programs smartphone apps as I recall. I've watched most of his videos and they are aimed at the beginner/intermediate enthusiast from the hardware perspective.

Last edited:

marmalade

cats & pixels
Assuming you have a dhcp server running on the PI..

You just need to assign a static IP to each esp mac address handed out to the esp. .This will be similar to your Pi's subnet (typically 192.168.0.x)

To find the mac, (once you program the SSID and password into the ESP to logon to the Pi) just query the network, (something like sudo arp-scan --interface=wlan0 )

Pretty much the same as doing it on a wifi router.