Starters equipment list, please comment

brett0004

New elf
Hi all, as a newby I have started to put together a list of LOR gear that I think I need to get the ball rolling, your comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated. As I am an electrician I have decided to order the controllers as just boards only and mount the gear in larger metal enclosures. My list so far is as follows:-
MDM-MP3 mini director.
CTB16PC controller board x 2.
CMB16D dc controller board x 1.
Basic Plus Software kit
I realise some of this gear is still not available at this time. I have listed the mini director as correct me if I am wrong the only diference with the Showtime director is it has built in time clock for $80 more.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The gear you have listed will get you up and running. LOR is great for a starter, and if your like me (im an electricain as well) you will hunger for more next year and the LOR gear allows you to move into the DIY world later if you wish to do so.
The director units do have their bandwidth limitations and do not work very well for large displays with many pixel based lighting like the CCR and its better off to use a computer for your control instead of the dirctor units in these cases, but for what you are doing the director unit will work perfectly for you.
One of the big differences with the showtime range and the basic range is the UL certification, the showtime products are more aimed at commercial installations while most hobbiest will go for the basic range but if your installing for commercial purposes then this is where the UL certification becomes important.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's unlikely that you'll get any of the LOR this year ready for December 1 switch on unless it was ordered weeks ago. As much as i love my LOR gear they've had a major fail this year with the availability of components. If you're looking to get blinking this year you're almost going to have to go down the DC dmx path. David_AVD (Audio Visual Devices in Qld) and Ray Wu (aliexpress China) both have DC dmx controllers available that can be controlled with LOR, LSP or Vixen software. At the moment there is no commonly available dmx for AC that you can get easily or relatively cheaply. The basic software only controls 2 boards and you have 3 listed so there's another problem. I think that you need the advanced version of LOR S3 if you want to run DMX boards via a true dmx network rather than through the LOR iDMX adaptor. In addition to the LOR gear you'll obviously need a DC supply or 2.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
He has stated that he is getting the basic plus which is 4 controllers, so that will do for his requirements.
But i agree here with Alan that you will be lucky to get any LOR controllers before showtime this year. There are other alternatives but they are not as plug and play as LOR

brett0004

New elf
Thanks for the replys guys, Like I said I dont expect much this year, I will order and see what happens, I have had a static display for the last 10 years so another year isnt going to matter. might have to get out an old PLC I have in the shed and see if I can fire it up.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Given that you are an electrician it may be wise to consider the other alternatives as AAH as a number of people that have started up here are heading towards the DMX DC boards as they are far more cost effective as well as having the ability to use a variety of suppliers as many are finding this year the use of a single supplier may well result in no blinky. Having no background in electronics , electrical fields if I can get them up and running I have no doubt you should be able to as there are always many around to help you over the hurdles

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I agree, if your not going to get a show going this year then i wouldnt rush into anything yet until you understand your options, there are much cheaper options going down the DIY path and being an electrician it wont be hard for you to understand and implement it all for next year.

brett0004

New elf
yes I think you are on the money with DMX control, it certainly opens up other optionsI have had some experience with DMX stage lighting and I like the idea of remote I/O etc.