Suggestions on where to get EMT conduit or similar strength piping (unusual size)

aplant92

Full time elf
Hi all,

I’ve got one of the Boscoyo Mega Tree kits and have just found that although they recommend getting a 3/4” EMT conduit for setting it up, this appears to be specific to the US as the 3/4” conduit here is total diameter - judging by the size of the hole in the kit parts, I assume over there it’s 3/4” inner diameter.

Are there any places people can suggest to try and get an odd diameter pipe, be it EMT or PVC? I’m thinking around 7/8” or 24mm should do, but Bunnings only has 19 then jumps to 25 (which is too big).

Any help is appreciated as I’ve realised this is an issue very late in the piece!

aplant92

Full time elf
Ideally we’d get a pipe made to the specific diameter we require, but not sure if anyone does this and if time/cost are prohibitive. If there’s an easy way to ‘pad out’ the pipe for the sections that the boscoyo parts need to fit onto, that could work, but again not sure what we could use for that

andrewa

Full time elf
To get over the differences between US and australian produce sizing, I have in the past padded out poles with thin aluminium bands made from soft drink cans. I did this on my ferris wheel when I cut the hole for the axis pole before i found out I couldn't get the specified diameter pole for the axis

aplant92

Full time elf
Did that ‘stick’? Someone also suggested brass shim, but I’d just want to be sure it doesn’t slide down the pole. Duck tape was another suggestion - maybe a possible solution?

battle79

Full time elf
A metal shop with a lathe could take a mm off the 25mm pipe, might get thin but should hold if it's chunky pipe to start with.
Alternatively, put a pipe clamp under the topper so it can't slide down and shim it so it fits tightly. Combination should work great.

aplant92

Full time elf
I had thought about the clamps but yeah without anything 'thickening' the pipe around the parts that need to slot in, I'm worried it would still move around horizontally.

I'm thinking duck tape will be the easiest solution, but I'm not sure how soft it is - given it's to sit under multiple pieces on a 3m pipe, the duck tape would need to be pretty firm in order to keep the shape and prevent the tree forming a lean or slant.

Any suggestions for a localish place to buy brass shim (in the Melbourne area)?