Target audience fell asleep.

Binkles

Full time elf
My daughter is scared of the dark, she has only just started to use her imagination.

This is really a big time, as she is Autistic, so communication is hard for her to explain what's going on in her mind, add in deafness and my grasp of sign is not the best, but we get there.

My whole objective of lights, is to give her music, she can't hear it, but she can see it. She dances when I play with patterns, and to see her eyes is a wonder.

She loves butterflies, and we had bought her a mobile that rotated colours through a clear Perspex of butterflies, but of course when the batteries get low, they only show red, and that just will not do for my munchkin.

Or of course, they turn off, and she wakes up screaming, and crying.

This poses a problem, as when she was a baby screaming her lungs out wanting a feed at 2am, as Mum is deaf as well.

To debunk a myth btw, it's not quiet in a deaf household, doors slam, stomping around the house, pots crash etc.

Anyways.... Back to the story at hand.

Yesterday I thought, hey my lights are spread around the covered area in front of my daughters bedroom, so excuse the pun, but light bulb moment, I'm going to use my lights instead of the butterflies.

I couldn't get a sequence done, having just purchased lsp, so just set up the p2 test sequence.

She fell asleep in no time at all, another thing we fight as she normally stims for two or three hours before becoming tired, and going to sleep.

So today, my goal was to setup a sequence on the tree in lsp.

I played a bit, and worked it out, and with some help from the girl herself picking the colours she wants fades from and to, we created a 2 minute sequence.

So tonight... It's bedtime...

I try and turn on the scheduler for an hour and it started compiling... And compiling.... And compiling... And I quit.

Loaded The sequencer back up, looped it and sent the button to bed, and within 10 minutes she's gone...

I can't say it will always work... But it was nice working with my girl today.

So thank you all that have given me help, you're making one little girls sleep, that little bit better.

G

GoofyGuy

I think that's a first, someone making a sequence to put the audience to sleep. Also a great idea for helping her get to sleep peacefully. Ive been in a household where a few members of the family were hard of hearing or deaf and your right, its not a quiet place.

kel

Dedicated elf
work11.gif

logandc99

Dedicated elf
That's a great story. Now your lights are providing happiness all year round and not just for the lead up to Xmas :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Awesome work and great story. I knew about the idea of falling asleep from chat but the rest of the story was news. I hope the battle with your other child (lsp) goes well and you do some great stuff this year.

Binkles

Full time elf
Thanks for the replies everyone. It means a lot, and AAH, I'm not sure which child is going to be more difficult....

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Good for you and your daughter! I applaud your use of things to help with her.

My first year doing an animated light show, I had no idea what I was doing and was stumbling along.

About the fifth night into the shows (more like uncontrolled light chaos to me) I had a car with a little girl in it who was just mesmerized by the lights and music. Long Story short, she was undergoing treatments for terminal illness and the family could not afford anything for Christmas or much else for that matter since the medical bills and all had drained them of everything they had other than their little girl.
She loved the lights so much that they brought her every night to sit and watch for awhile.

I made her a special show for that Christmas Eve and got more back than I could ever imagine just from the look on her face during it.

So I do know the wonder that the lights can cause and how they can be used to bring a lot of good to someones world even if just for a little while.

God Bless you for the love you show her by doing this for her and keep it up.

I am just starting to change over to LSP myself in anticipation of using RGB in my display.

You can check out my display site at www.longlakelights.com. If you are interested in any of the sequences, I could see if I can get them imported into LSP and I would be glad to share with you for her. Possibly my Emerson, Lake, and Palmer song - Father Christmas would be soft enough and slower enough to be soothing for her?
Let me know if I can help.

Binkles

Full time elf
I think some people may get 1000's of people past their houses and say nothing, no thanks etc, but then it only takes one person like you just said, and it makes it all worthwhile.

My daughters night light.....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365335673.315413.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365335673.315413.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 15