MD389 MD389 1
Snowy Snowy 1
Andrew Lee Andrew Lee 2

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
The first Tasmanian ACL mini is confirmed to go ahead for;

Date Confirmed: Sunday 24th May 2020
Time: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Location: Prospect High School (30-32 Ralph St, Launceston TAS 7250)
- This is approx. only 15 minute drive from Launceston Airport

Cost: Free to those who register prior (we will get a registration page attached to this thread soon)

We will have access to some light refreshments during the day, however lunch wont be provided so please BYO or there is a couple of close by shops.
ACL member @Snowy has been able to organise this venue for us, so we are very appreciative.
It will be held in one of the Prospect High School classroom, which has access to projector, screen and all the usual class room things, also their will be room available if anybody wished to bring along a couple of props they have made or any other similar items like maybe a controller box to share some build ideas etc.

We will provide some more details about which actual room etc within the High School later on.

Now the format of this Mini.

As this is the first Tassie Mini this may be a little less formal than some of the other minis, with some guided discussion points / subjects listed below and some more formal presentations.
However this will all be very flexible as it is our Tas Mini.
So please bring your laptop with a current version of xLights installed.
Also feel free to bring a controller etc if you have one and want some guidance with some settings etc, again it will be very flexible structure.

Here are a couple of topic / talking points that may be of interest.

Blinky Lights 101 - I am completely new and what do I need to get started.

Hardware - Pixels, Controllers, PSU etc

Designing your first layout, or adding to a existing layout

xLights 101 - inc controller set up (as there is some new changes coming to xLights), Display Layout.

xLights sequencing 101 - Some basics on using some of the effects in xLights and some tips and tricks to help you with your sequences/

xLights - Importing a sequence and maximising the effects for your Display Layout

These xLights topics will be more demonstration based (so you all can watch me stuff it up live :) )

Show scheduler

Rasp pi with FPP and xSchedule

Basic Networking

and some more open type discussions ie

12V vs 5V

Prop Building Tips, including Megatree's , Arches etc

Tune To Sings (P10, P5 panels)

FM Transmitters

Purchasing pre-made or DIY

Where to purchase from inc Chinese vendors

Tools you never thought you would need before starting this hobby

Running your display at Christmas time, dealing with traffic (or no traffic so what do I do to get people to stop and actually tune into my display) etc

3D printing, what is all this talk about 3D printing in this hobby and is it worth it?

Also plan to try and have a couple of hands on type demo's / discussions inc

Basic Fault Finding (I also have a coupe of good examples to show you all)

What to do if all just isn't working, where can I get some help

Please contact me with anything you wish to cover, and if anybody wants to help with some of the presentations please contact me or if there is something you would personally like to present / demo or just a quick talk just let me know and we can add it to the "Draft" list of topics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to come soon including some updates on some great possible raffle prizes to give away to attendees we may have.

Last edited:

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Yes Please, as a Noobie, would love to attend & learn with some good hands on. :thumbsup: :cool:
No worries we would be glad to help
What sort of hands on type of things did you have in mind
ie actuallly building things, soldering etc
or more electronics / software type hands on ie configuring pixel controller, FPP and xLights configuration for examples

Andrew Lee

New elf
No worries we would be glad to help
What sort of hands on type of things did you have in mind
ie actuallly building things, soldering etc
or more electronics / software type hands on ie configuring pixel controller, FPP and xLights configuration for examples

being able to meet like minded people. Sequencing, Networking & Configuration.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
No worries Andrew, will be able to show a complete setup if you want from xLights layout configuration to controller settings and upload and some sequencing tips and tricks.

MD389

New elf
Lock me in. Happy to help out with info on basic show network setup, Advatek pixlite config + setup and i'll bring along my megatree control box from last year's show.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Sounds great MD389, thanks for helping out
Just register at the top of this thread so I can keep a little track on who's coming

Thanks again for offering to do some demos / presentations

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Regarding the current situation with coronavirus covid-19

We hope to still have the Tas mini and are still planning to go ahead but we will be following all government recommendations in particular about the venue etc and I will keep this forum thread updated.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thanks