Termination Jumpers for Ray 27's

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi all, Just need some advice on if and where I should install "term" jumpers.
This is my current set up from my ECG D4
Slave 1 out to DC48
Slave 2 out to 4 x ray 27's all Daisy Chained
Slave 3 - Out to 4 x ray 27's all daisy Chained
all running from the same universe.
Just not sure if I have to "term" at end of the Dc48 and then on the 4th ray of Slave 2 & 3.
Or do you only just terminate the last controller in the universe in general. so in my case the last ray 27 on Slave 3.
If anyone has a pic of how to make a term jumper for the ray or advice on how to do one., That'd be great.
Cheers
Phil

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The termination should be at the end of the wiring run. In many cases you can get away with not having any termination but if you are running hundreds of metres of wire from the D4 to the last controller on a run then it is a must. The Ray Wu boards don't have a jumper to install so you'll have to get creative.

Porsche

Full time elf
Thanks Alan, I think the lonest run I have from the D4 is 17m. Do you think that would require a termination?
How will I know if it needs terminating or not. Will I get wrong signals or just not work?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I forgot to terminate my dmx line at the start of last years show and the run was probably 250m. I often test here and have 10m of cat5 and don't have any issues. What happens will be some lost signals due to the signal reflecting at the end of the line. There wouldn't really be any way to predict what would happen other than you may get intermittent packet loss.
Suck it and see is about the best I could suggest if you don't want to buy a couple of 4c resistors.

Porsche

Full time elf
Yeah I'll have a crack and see if I run into any dramas with it. I did find a nice diagram on here last night showing how to make them up. Seems fairly straight forward.
Thanks Alan

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I ran 4 strings of DMX, with the longest from splitter to end close to 100m, and I forgot the terminator... No dramas here, although when I found it missing I added the terminator.

Here every box/board/light etc has an in & out, so my terminator is simply a plug and resistor that can plug into any end device on a string.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I didnt use terminators on a few of the Ray boards at the end of the DMX run, I was prepared to fit them if i needed, which i didnt.

All i was going to do was use an XLR plug and solder on a 120 ohm termination resistor

drakky

Senior elf
I can't seem to find the diagram to make an RJ45 terminator but I am assuming it's just 120 ohm resistor across pins 1 & 2 ?