Test Pattern on P12S

joshlisa

New elf
Hi Guys,
I am an old hand at this blinky flashy stuff but have used home made olsens and rens up to now but have purchased 2x P12s and a few thousand pixels to up the anty this year.
I am starting to play with my new toys and seem to be having a small problem.
Although not an electrical engineer or a computer programmer I can normally get my head around most problems or find solutions in questions already asked. With this in mind please keep the language in any responses easy to follow.
I have connected my P12s's to the PC and have accessed the UBL and updated all I can find as needed but I cannot stop them from being in test mode. Both have the same issue. Dip switch 4 seems not do anything any more correct?? I have tried enabling testpat mode and then disabling it in the ethcon gateway but to no eval. I have tried to do simple testing with da_E131 Test Source program and can see the pixels wanting to work but the test pattern overrides it.
I'm using WS2801's from who else but Ray Wu.
Any suggestion of where to start would be great.

Josh

kane

Dedicated elf
joshlisa said:
I have connected my P12s's to the PC and have accessed the UBL and updated all I can find as needed but I cannot stop them from being in test mode. Both have the same issue. Dip switch 4 seems not do anything any more correct?? I have tried enabling testpat mode and then disabling it in the ethcon gateway but to no eval. I have tried to do simple testing with da_E131 Test Source program and can see the pixels wanting to work but the test pattern overrides it.
Have you tried rebooting the p12s after disabling test mode?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
On a PIXAD8 I repaired for someone recently, I found I needed to turn test mode on (via the browser), save, reboot, then turn it back off, save and reboot again. Any other combination seemed to leave test mode on even though the config said it was off.

joshlisa

New elf
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I have tried rebooting after turning on and again after turning the test pattern off but will follow your instructions to the letter and see how I go.
I am on shift today and tomorrow so will give it a try on Tuesday.
Will let you know if I have success.

Josh

joshlisa

New elf
Hi all.

I have tried several combinations of turning the test mode on and of with rebooting inbetween and using the reset button on the boards with no luck so far.

Any more suggestions??

Josh

joshlisa

New elf
Thanks Matt.
I tried several combinations of dip switch up and down and turning on and off in the menu with no success yet.
I also tried today with WS2801 and WS2811 Pixels and all did the same thing.

Josh

kane

Dedicated elf
joshlisa said:
Thanks Matt.
I tried several combinations of dip switch up and down and turning on and off in the menu with no success yet.
I also tried today with WS2801 and WS2811 Pixels and all did the same thing.
What does the test pattern look like - are we 100% certain it's a test pattern, as opposed to lights randomly being lit up due to perhaps a protocol or speed issue?

Also, I'm guessing there's nothing on your network sending e1.31 data? (always worth asking!!)

joshlisa

New elf
The test pattern is the color shifting (red-green-blue) with a white moving one spot up the chain per shift.
The only thing on this network is a network switch and the two P12s's so don't think its that.
On the main page in the browser it always comes up with teat pattern on aswell regardless of what I do.
Josh

kane

Dedicated elf
That does certainly sound like the test sequence, worth a shot though!
As well as Matt's suggestions, probably worth posting screenshots of every config screen.

But the fact that the main page always says that the test pattern is enabled says to me that for some reason, the changing of the setting isn't being saved... Absolute long shot here, but are you using IE10? If so, try Firefox or another browser to see if it makes any difference. It shouldn't, but IE10 does some screwy things sometimes..

battle79

Full time elf
After you make the change you must click down the bottom to save that menu, then go to (last menu item I believe) to reboot device with new settings. If you don't do both it doesn't take the setting. I had exact problem till I figured it out.
Going off memory, so might not be exactly right but you get the gist I'm sure.

Cheers,
Rowan

joshlisa

New elf
Hey guys, I’m at work right now (night shift) but will check the version of ie tomorrow and try firefox and chrome. It’s on my shed computer so will need to download them first but hadn’t thought of a different browser.

I am aware of the need to save and then to reboot off the last menu screen but worth checking.

When at home I will screen grab the different menus and post them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Josh

thieleclan

New elf
Mine were doing the same and I am a complete newbie. Are you using LOR? I had to install the USB driver to the computer I was using-I didn't have it on before and also needed to run the LOR control panel so the listener was working...........

joshlisa

New elf
Hi All.

I Tried with Chrome Browser today with no luck, i have also double checked that I have been saving and then rebooting and still no luck.
This year I am using Vixen 3 but have not set it up as yet as I got as far as plugging in my pixels when I came to this issue. I have tried with a simple test program that sends data to the pixels but then is quickley overrun by the test pattern. You can see them trying to work though.
Previously I used Vixen 2.5 but no pixels setup on that either.
Attached are screen shots of the menu screens.
Sorry about the crappy phone pics.

Josh

kane

Dedicated elf
To me it's starting to look like a software issue with the board not saving the testpat setting..

Probably the first thing I would try is to reflash the firmware, just in case that fixes it.