Testing the Matrix

Mm

Silent elf
In the testing stage of my new matrix. [/size][/size]This was made using these. [/size][/size][/size]http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/BLACK-PCB-5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-IP68-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-reverse-protection/701799_926778326.html[/size][/size]I had to take the strip out of it’s waterproof tubing so I could run it through the sheet I got from Bunnings. The one problem I needed to overcome was the thickness of the strip, I had to trim the strip down on both sides. Not the best thing to do but it worked. [/size][/size][/size][/size]The sheet: http://www.bunnings.com.au/sunlite-polycarb-roofing-10mm-3m-clear-twin-sl10cl3-0_p1010590[/size][/size][/size][/size]http://vimeo.com/87926553
MAtrix Test 2 on Vimeo[/size][/size]Your feedback is welcomed. [/size][/size]Mm

arw01

Full time elf
Looks nice, you just using a wood block on the ends?

Was considering sourcing the same type of material locally, but the matrix panels out of coro were $8.00 each so I picked up some of those on diyledexpress.com's presale and ordered enough of the bullet pixels to make up the matrix for this year.

I suspect after my fingers are bleeding from stuffing a few hundred pixels in, I will wish I did it like you with flex strips in greenhouse panels!

Which program you making the effects from? Thought I saw a few of the lsp effects there?

Mm

Silent elf
arw01 said:
Looks nice, you just using a wood block on the ends?
Yes, I used LSP for this test.

Was considering sourcing the same type of material locally, but the matrix panels out of coro were $8.00 each so I picked up some of those on diyledexpress.com's presale and ordered enough of the bullet pixels to make up the matrix for this year.

I suspect after my fingers are bleeding from stuffing a few hundred pixels in, I will wish I did it like you with flex strips in greenhouse panels!

Which program you making the effects from? Thought I saw a few of the lsp effects there?

Mm

Silent elf
30 pixels and each strip is 1 meter long. 10 rows.
twooly said:
What's the size pixel wise 10? Rows X

battle79

Full time elf
Love the idea of the polycarb sheet, looks really good. Did notice that the vertical distance between pixels is smaller that the horizontal. Could stretch the text when displayed.

Wondering if every third section might give you a more even distribution horizontally and vertically.

Cheers,
Rowan

Mm

Silent elf
Hi Rowan,
I will be making another one as I have a lot of the sheeting left over. Will try every third section like you mentioned to see what the effect looks like.
Keep you posted.
Matt

arw01

Full time elf
Looks good. To the human eye do they look like distinct dots all the time? The camera has some that appear to flare out and blend, and others that seem to be only individual leds. Wondering if that's a sensor saturation issue on the camera, or if when you get multiple leds horizontally and vertically (like a 3x3 or more group) if it does it to the eye too.

Have you played with bringing down the brightness a long ways, like 1/2 or 2/3rds to see what effect that has. I suspect you can get away with a substantial drop before your eyes will be able to notice it.

Alan