Testing your lights

cscool36

Full time elf
Hi All.
Is there a way to test all your channels in LSP.
I know you can do by bank in test controller hardware but I would like to test the controller (E681) with all lights on.

Thanks
Colin

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you're not fussed with trying to do it from within LSP then an easy option is to use an app from David_AVD. da_e131 is an easy way to test E1.31 devices.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I just make a test sequence that shows red, green and blue then yellow, purple and aqua and then finally white, this way you can test all colour combinations

kane

Dedicated elf
I actually have a custom util that I put together that runs on my PC and provides a web interface (as well as desktop control) I enter the universe number and channel numbers for each element, which are loaded into a list. I can then go out front with the ipad, and turn on individual elements (or groups) to make sure they're working properly, including choice of colours etc. Saves me running upstairs and back down to do my testing. Also saves me turning on all lights when setting up each item.

I really don't have the time to try and package it up for generic use, but any programmers out there that might want to have a play, I'm more than happy to provide the vb.net source code.

It'd actually be very simple for LSP to offer the same sort of functionality as this - allowing people to test their displays via a web browser - might suggest as a feature for the new version.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The other way is just to use the test sequences that the E68x controllers have built in to them if you are just wanting to test the lights without any data

DanJ

Full time elf
Another route you can go is to install SACNVIEW on your PC. It can run sinewaves and other test signals and contains a DMX channel monitoring function so you can troubleshoot when/if needed. Being able to "watch" LOR/xlights/SACNVIEW signals has helped me in the last week or so in isolating to "just" LOR for example.