Text Messaging (SMS) to Pixel Matrix in Light Show...

idleup

New elf
Just created a video on how I implemented this in our 2014 light show. Thanks to the Falcon team (especially Chris) for all his help and hard work in implementing the Memory Map Block features that made this possible, it is a very popular feature in our show this year!!

http://youtu.be/Ux4fP4WD0a8

Matt Johnson
johnsonlightshow.com

elnino

Full time elf
I considered doing an SMS thing this year on my display but a) Didn't know how best to achieve it and b) Didn't want profanities scrolling all over my display - You nailed both of those (I didn't know FPP could even do it..) You've convinced me I need to use a Pi next year (too late now)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i think with alot of us building matrix's this is going to be a popular thing in the future
im even thinking about it

Gilrock

Full time elf
Hi Matt,

I just saw your thread on DIYC yesterday and was looking up more about how you did the SMS thing and then I see this posted here today. I'm already using a Pi but haven't done much with Pixel Overlays yet except that I used one to override a few channels that I use to turn on statics like my inflatables.

What I was wondering is where do you have people send the messages? Is it a personal phone number or what?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice work and interactivity like this is always a hit

We were involved in a similar thing with the City of Sydneys Christmas tree last year and this year where the public could text messages and also do a selfie that would come up on a screen and then the message would scroll up a digital ribbon on the tree. The issue is that it has to be monitored all the time and messages filtered because people can be very ingeneous when it comes to trying to get around the profanity filters.
Have you come across the same issue or do they all behave in your part of the world.

Bird

LOR user
Very cool. Thanks to your sharing I can see this becoming very popular next year.
Fasteddy said:
The issue is that it has to be monitored all the time and messages filtered because people can be very ingeneous when it comes to trying to get around the profanity filters.
Have you come across the same issue or do they all behave in your part of the world.
We are on the same planet as you, sooo.... :eek: :D :D :D

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Bird said:
Very cool. Thanks to your sharing I can see this becoming very popular next year.
Fasteddy said:
The issue is that it has to be monitored all the time and messages filtered because people can be very ingeneous when it comes to trying to get around the profanity filters.
We are on the same planet as you, sooo.... :eek: :D :D :D
Being on the same planet doesn't mean we all came from the same planet....
As any time spent on a news channel can attest to that fact unfortunately.
;) :D :D

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Hi Matt,

That's very interesting! I also saw your display on the great christmas light fight - looked awesome!

I'm also running an interactive names system with my Matrix. You might want my database - it has 130,993 different names in it at the moment - including naughty 'names' / words that are also used to auto-ban people. The exact count increases nightly as moderation/requests still come through.

My system works on a Wi-Fi captive portal, rather than SMS. People connect to an open WiFi called 'Xmas Lights' and I redirect all their DNS/HTTP to my web server, where they can then enter their name. I then have another PC/software running that re-writes my matrix's E1.31 on the fly so I can overlay the text.

Brad

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Driver said:
Hi Matt,

That's very interesting! I also saw your display on the great christmas light fight - looked awesome!

I'm also running an interactive names system with my Matrix. You might want my database - it has 130,993 different names in it at the moment - including naughty 'names' / words that are also used to auto-ban people. The exact count increases nightly as moderation/requests still come through.

My system works on a Wi-Fi captive portal, rather than SMS. People connect to an open WiFi called 'Xmas Lights' and I redirect all their DNS/HTTP to my web server, where they can then enter their name. I then have another PC/software running that re-writes my matrix's E1.31 on the fly so I can overlay the text.

Brad
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg