The most amazing thing I have seen, the Pi Player from Dave Pitts

neilric99

Full time elf
The Falcon Pi Player allows you to convert your sequences to FPP format and play them using the player built into the FPP software. You just need to load up your audio and video files onto your usb flash stick and plug it in and the songs can be scheduled by the FFP scheduler. The FPP player supports E1.31 directly so just plug it into your controller and you are all set.

There is also an option for supporting a edimax wifi usb adapter as well as the built in cat 5 connector, so you can control the FPP vie its web interface on 192.168.0.10 (default which can be easily changed) and even change songs on the fly while another song is playing.

kane

Dedicated elf
DanJ said:
I am newbie with RGB controllers, but I "think" there "has to be" a PC running my E682 (?). It has a web-based interface that I am thinking has to be up & running for the controller to be functional. But I am definitely not 100% on that!! Would sure be nice to be able to stick the Raspberry PI into the CG1500 enclosure with the controller instead of tying up a PC!! I will have to look into this.

No, the web interface is only used to configure your controller (ie, tell it which protocol to use, which universe to listen to, how many pixels etc). Once it's setup, it simply listens for e1.31 data via it's ethernet port, and spits out SPI data to your pixels as appropriate.

Even though I haven't really looked too much at the Falcon PI player, I'm know that it spits out e1.31 data over it's ethernet interface. So as long as you can convert your sequence to FPP format, and get it on to the PI (along with any audio files), then you'll be able to do exactly as you say.

Main reason I haven't looked at the Falcon PI player myself is that I use LSP, so unless Minleon offer a way to export to FPP (unlikely given they've just rebuilt their scheduler), then I would have to build my own conversion tool..

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
DanJ said:
I am newbie with RGB controllers, but I "think" there "has to be" a PC running my E682 (?). It has a web-based interface that I am thinking has to be up & running for the controller to be functional. But I am definitely not 100% on that!! Would sure be nice to be able to stick the Raspberry PI into the CG1500 enclosure with the controller instead of tying up a PC!! I will have to look into this.

No, the web interface is only used to configure your controller (ie, tell it which protocol to use, which universe to listen to, how many pixels etc). Once it's setup, it simply listens for e1.31 data via it's ethernet port, and spits out SPI data to your pixels as appropriate.

Even though I haven't really looked too much at the Falcon PI player, I'm know that it spits out e1.31 data over it's ethernet interface. So as long as you can convert your sequence to FPP format, and get it on to the PI (along with any audio files), then you'll be able to do exactly as you say.

Main reason I haven't looked at the Falcon PI player myself is that I use LSP, so unless Minleon offer a way to export to FPP (unlikely given they've just rebuilt their scheduler), then I would have to build my own conversion tool..

There is a way if you really wanted to and that is to export as a pixelnet conductor and then go from there, but no, there is no direct support for the PI, but you can still use it if using LSP and exporting to a conductor file.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Kane said:
DanJ said:

There is a way if you really wanted to and that is to export as a pixelnet conductor and then go from there, but no, there is no direct support for the PI, but you can still use it if using LSP and exporting to a conductor file.

there are two ways people get lsp data into the pi player format.

export a conductor file (*.seq). Next go to xlights CONVERT tab and convert your *.seq into a *.fseq

The second method is to use the tool frankr wrote, the light elf. This will take your msq file and produce a *.fseq file.

Light elf tool is located here: [SIZE=78%]http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0[/SIZE]

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
smeighan said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Kane said:
DanJ said:

there are two ways people get lsp data into the pi player format.

export a conductor file (*.seq). Next go to xlights CONVERT tab and convert your *.seq into a *.fseq

The second method is to use the tool frankr wrote, the light elf. This will take your msq file and produce a *.fseq file.

Light elf tool is located here: [SIZE=78%]http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0[/SIZE]

I wasnt aware of this second method, thanks for sharing

Skunberg

Full time elf
The raspberry pi is a PC. And you can use your regular pc to program the pi across the network. Once programed it only needs power to output E1.31 to your e681 (with a rtc on the pi to keep track of the time). :)

DanJ

Full time elf
Thank you so much for all the replies! Looking forward to learning this additional new RGB stuff. How about one more question on RTC timing--any advice how to "piggyback" some type of timing board onto the PI? THANKS

Skunberg

Full time elf
Searcj for the Rasclock. The site that sells them has full instructions. This RTC is also supported by the FPP.

Brian

DanJ

Full time elf
I dug thru a bunch of old phone chargers hoping to find a micro USB connector so I can power up my Raspberry PI, but was unsuccessful. Any advice where I can purchase a micro USB connector without breaking the bank?? I intend to power up my PI player from a 5VDC auxiliary output available on my E682, so if possible I would like to go from bare wire to the micro USB (I don't really need a USB on the other end!). I looked at WalMart; they didn't have any (surprising). I am about to make a little trip to RadioShack & see what they have available. Thanks very much in advance!

DanJ

Full time elf
Never mind. Went to RadioShack and they didn't really have anything "cheap", so I went to Home Depot. They had a small USB to micro USB $5 (US). Now I just have to figure out the pin configuration so I put +5V & -5V in the right places!!

Skunberg

Full time elf
Let us know what you find out. I would love to do the same. One less thing in the box.

Brian

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Skunberg said:
Let us know what you find out. I would love to do the same. One less thing in the box.

Brian

because i was going to plug some extra usb devices in, i got a usb hub

http://www.adafruit.com/products/961?gclid=CMO_2r-UoboCFa1aMgod6wwACA

$22 gives me (7) USB 2.0 ports. It comes with a 2Amp power supply. I just use a usb to micro cable to plug into the pi. one AC connection powers all.

I have a wireless USB port [SIZE=78%]http://www.adafruit.com/products/1012[/SIZE]

this way i have enough power and enough ports to do whatever i want.

i also got a clock board, the rasclock, [/size][SIZE=78%]http://store.acmeun.com/products/rasclock-raspberry-pi-real-time-clock-module.html[/SIZE]
this allows me to NOT be connected to a network and still always have an accurate clock setting.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
It was about a year ago that Mykroft and Dave introduced the Pi player on the DLA forum. After a disagreement with RJ about having discussion about the pi player and the conductor, Dave created falconchristmas.com (He lives in Falcon, colorado).

When I saw the pi player at the Academy, I was blown away. Post from July 17,2013.
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?27136-The-most-amazing-thing-I-have-seen-the-Pi-Player-from-Dave-Pitts&highlight=amazing

I have the greatest respect for Dave as a person. He has no problem accepting critique of his designs, he incorporates other people suggestions willingly. When he got Capt Murdoch working on the pi player he told me "Man, that guy can code. He is better than myself in so many ways". He then hands his project over to Capt Murdoch. This is a true sign of a leader.

I find it is easier to digest data presented in a table form, so here is my first pass of what we have seen in the pi player.

DateJuly,2013July,2014
ComputerRaspberry Pi Model B, 512mbRaspberry Pi Model B, 512mb
SD card needed?Yes,4gb for OSYes,4gb for OS
USB Flash Needed?Yes,8-32gb for music, sequencesYes,8-32gb for music, sequences,movies
Outputs Music thru 3.5mm jackYes. OGG filesYes. OGG, MP3, MP4 files
Uses a user defined NTP server to keep accurate time Yes Yes
Optional RTC clock boardYesYes
Optional RDS ASCII output No Summer 2014
Play composite NTSC/PAL video outputYesYes
Play video on 1080p HDMI outputYesYes
Video playback synchronized with sequence dataNoYes
Output: E1.31 at least 64 universesat least 64 universes
Output: Pixelnet32768 channels (with fpd) 32768 channels (with fpd)
Output: DMX 6144 channels (with fpd)6144 channels (with fpd)
Output: Lynx Pixelnet USB dongleNoYes
Output: DMX Pro compatible USB donglesNoYes
Output: DMX Open compatible USB donglesNoYes
Output: RenardNoYes
Output: Output: Pixelnet-Open. It allows you to send one Universe of Pixelnet out via a $7 USB-to-RS485 adapter.NoYes
Output: single strand of WS2801 pixels directly attached to the SPI port on the PiNoYes
Channel remapping. Remap one or more channels during output to avoid re-sequencing at the last minute due to device failure or other unplanned changes.NoYes
Master/Slave synchronization between multiple Pi's for supporting higher channel counts. Your pi player can control your neighbors pi players. Your neighborhood is now all synced together.NoYes
Memory mapped channel overlays to allow external scripts to overlay data onto the
channel data being output, such as a countdown timer on a matrix. In other words , you can type in text while at a persons car and wish them a Merry Christmas. Their name will appear instantly on your current running show,
NoYes
Channel Test Mode, allowing the user to toggle channels on or off to test lights, cables, etc..NoYes
thanks
sean