The tiny 2811 seed pixels and waterproofing

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Up front many thanks to Mark i think that warned me to check all the seed pixels to ensure the epoxy covering was complete.

BTF-Lighting has been the place i have been buying mine from and both lots i have ordered for myself have been ip65 rated.
I have another order coming in for a friend that are classed as IP67, so be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Ok so led, electronics side, this is the side that lights up

IMG_0014.jpg
Of the hundreds i have looked at the electronics side has always been fully sealed. The cut of wires actually connect to the circuit board and i suspect these are actually 2818 dual path pixels with only a single data path used. no other reason to have the forth wire in place but cut off.

IMG_0013.jpg

The side view of one properly encapsulated front and back. There is evidence that these are reflow soldered based on the little solder balls you typically see when all the solder paste doesn't flow together.... no big deal just interesting.

Now for some example backs were the epoxy coating is not full done.
IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0005.jpg

Considering the wire seems to be enamel coated anyway this really shouldn't be an issue but if you want to be sure then grab some nail polish, fast drying and brush a bit on
IMG_0006.jpg

I haven't tried it but a touch of hot melt glue would likely work as well.

I do think that it doesn't matter to much and only if they got submerged would you see an issue

Cheers
Phil

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
From those photos it looks like they are standard V+, V-, IN and OUT pads.

I'd say the wire extends past the pad a little for the data lines for mechanical reasons.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I think you'll find that the wire on these will rust and corrode if left in the elements for any extended period of time. The pixels may be "ip67" but the wire isn't. I had a string up under my carport out of direct weather and they lasted just under 12 months before wires started falling apart.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Nice clear pictures!
I've done some clear nail polish so far on mine that have issues.

I think you'll find that the wire on these will rust and corrode if left in the elements for any extended period of time. The pixels may be "ip67" but the wire isn't. I had a string up under my carport out of direct weather and they lasted just under 12 months before wires started falling apart.
Yeah.... They don't last well in year round conditions.
My dumb seed light mega tree is still doing well for what will be 5 seasons now :).
Also known as 5 months...

I think from looking at mine, the little arrow is Data direction.
Just a hint for anyone reading over this thread. :) [Phil's photo from above].
1637709630318.png

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
From those photos it looks like they are standard V+, V-, IN and OUT pads.

I'd say the wire extends past the pad a little for the data lines for mechanical reasons.
Your ABSOLUTELY right.... i was completely overthinking it :).
It does look like they trim the wires after the epoxy goes on though