Things that make you go AAARRGGHHH!

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Everyone

Yesterday a summer storm rolled thru my town and at about 2pm my house was "struck" by Lightning.

Toasted everything connected to the TV network, My security cameras, Half my solar panels, my printer, and modem and about 3 network switches. It also managed to kill my xmas lights.

from what I've worked out, the upper story gutter went live and jumped into the PI cable for the outline strip. It destroyed the strip (12m), and the meanwell power supply and pixlite 4 connected to it.

it then ran happily down the cat6 to the switch, blew the lid off it, killed the Raspberry pi, and then proceeded to travel out from the switch to the other pixlite 4 and power supply in the other controller box and to the pixlite 16 and power supply in the mega tree.

I've ordered some new controllers from Advatek, who are express shipping them for me ( thanks Luke) and some new power supplies from Meanwell, I'm not giving up just yet ( I was hoping to make the Judging for the xmas lights comp lol) Until the new controllers and power supplies arrive, I do not know the status of my other pix strips and megatree nodes. Hopefully they are still a goer.

i've attached some photos.

As a learning exercise I wonder if running the power injection cable, or any cable for that matter in, near or across gutters is a good idea?

and obviously I now think disconnecting the cables from the switch is a good idea to prevent the propagation of any nasty electrons.

I think it would be smart to sectionalise your displays so that the impact of any "event" can be limited

I also think it would be a wise move to not connect your household network or computer to the show network. Luckily Mine wasn't, it got into my home network through a tv that was connected to the NVR which was connected to the house network. When you stop and think about it there is a lot of interconnectivity between the TV systems and network devices. I'm also thinking of installing some cheap switches in my network as sacrificial fuses for next time. My Billion ADSL modem, made the sacrifice and protected my computer. ( yet another reason to like Billion devices)

But for all my anguish, it's only lights. the house didn't burn down, and no one was hurt. and it's nothing compared to the storm that hit Kurnell.

the best point is that my Virtual Santa is still going, Lightning won't stop Santa!

Cheers
Fing

Attachments

• Gutter.JPG
    Gutter.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 106
  • RJ45.JPG
    RJ45.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Strip.JPG
    Strip.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 95
  • strip3.JPG
    strip3.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 94
  • switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 104

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
oh mate so sorry to hear the news and yes you can rebuild knowing no one was hurt and yes they are only lights and you can buy more you cant replace family if you need anything just ask

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
That is somewhat bad luck Fing but it's a testament to your commitment that you're jumping back on the horse and rebuilding ASAP.
A direct hit by lightning is pretty well impossible to protect against. The voltage and energy in a strike means that it will go wherever it feels like. It's already arced over a few hundred metres of air so wherever it feels like traveling in the last few metres of it's journey aren't likely to be affected too much by your layout and precautions.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Ohno thats terrible fing so sorry to hear .mother nature can be fierce .does your household insurance cover you for damages.hope all goes ok with getting up and running again.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Oh man, sorry to hear of that... Love the positive steps forward... All the best...

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
sorry to hear about your mishap. You are lucky based on the photos. I have seen electronics completely blown out and burned to a crisp. You must have had a more direct path to ground or there should be a lot more crispy black stuff. Unless I missed something ??

That said, It might be wise to have a thick copper path direct from your gutters to Ground. Not that lightning strikes twice in the same place... ::)

Lightning will take the most direct path to ground that it can find.

BTW, the thunder must have scared the $h|t out of you .

-Blu

Karob

Let there be Light!
Sorry to see and hear about the damage.

As previously said lucky it is only damage to things that are easily replaced, Great attitude to get back ordering replacements and getting back on the horse.

The lightening made your house the chosen one, hopefully the same thing happens when it comes to judging in your light comp.

All the best.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What a nightmare for you, I hope its all covered by insurance as lightning strikes can be very costly

Great to see that it hasn't killed your spirit

#1mate

364 Days building 1 night admiring.
Fing,
Sounds like you are in control but do you need anything. Spare raspberry pi maybe?

scamper

Dedicated elf
I am sorry to hear about your mess so close to xmas.
I would offer a loan of anything but alas am too far away (it would be quicker to get new stuff from china)

I lived in Darwin for 5 years working in the tv repair industry. I always told people to unplug everything if a storm was on the way, most would tell me they turned it off at the switch, but couldn't grasp the concept that if lightning jumped across hundreds of meters to find a path to earth, then a couple of millimetres of switch contact was not going to be a problem.

You definitely have a positive attitude, so keep plugging away.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Sorry to hear mate. This should be the time of year we can sit back have a drink and enjoy our shows. Chin cause good things happen to good people and everything works out in the end.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thank-you everyone for your thoughts and offers of help. They were all greatly appreciated. There are other threads about why we do this, and things people say, but that feeling of satisfaction and enjoyment we get from building something that brings a sparkle to kids ( and big kids) eyes is special for us all. Having it taken from you after only 15 days, in your first year is difficult, as is having your house sitting in the dark. Your kind words help soften the blow.

Well my parts have arrived ( Aust Post must have a different definition of "Express") but it hasn't stopped raining here since, so it looks like I'm finished for this year.

My wife said I can go bigger and better next year, which I interpreted as "spend what you want" 8) (might even do a halloween....)

My Virtual santa is still drawing cars and kids, with one little bloke only just now yelling out to him "have you got me a present?"

AAMI said they will cover me for the lights, which is great, so far they have been good to deal with, but I'm learning what "new for old - like for like replacement" actual means (for one, it doesn't mean same brand)

As I said, it was only lights and replaceable things like TVs that got damaged, no one was injured and nothing burnt down.

I've started planing my 2016 upgraded display already....I think I need lasers and lightning arrestors ;)

Cheers
Shane (fing)