Think your street should be featured on Best Aussie Christmas Street?

Christmas in the Shire

Apprentice elf
Hey Guys,
I was sent this from a mate of mine (who also has a Christmas light obsession) and was not sure if you were all aware that Life Style.com.au we calling for nominations. Check out the link below to enter. Who knows we my be watching your street?
Cheers
Craig (Christmas in the Shire)

http://www.lifestyle.com.au/xmaslights/
Think your street should be featured on Best Aussie Christmas Street?
Do you and your neighbours spend excessive time and money every year getting your Christmas light displays up and running? Does your street attract hundreds or thousands of visitors over the season? Does the standard of your street’s displays get better and better every year?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
there's 2 displays that is computerized in the small town,
So as much as i would like to enter, i dont think its worth it for a TV program like that..

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
About 2 weeks ago, some of my video footage from last year was licenced for a promo by the production company for what was described as a possible program provisionally titled "Great Aussie Christmas Lights". They were not at that time forthcoming with details of what was proposed. It now looks as if they are looking for streets of lights rather than individuals so that rules me out.

It will be interesting to see what the program is like if it goes ahead. Interesting also that they are accepting videos as well as photos - I don't know any local streets with multiple computer controlled displays.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I won't be entering. Whilst it is to my knowledge that my council area has the highest percentage of computer-controlled displays compared to any other council region within SA, none are on the same street as each other.

My guess is XYZ Networks (owner of the Lifestyle channel) has not seen our video gallery of computer-controlled displays around the country!

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
No point mentioning mine eithor as mine is the only house in the street with lights, and the only one in the area with any sort of animation at all.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ryanschristmaslights said:
My guess is XYZ Networks (owner of the Lifestyle channel) has not seen our video gallery of computer-controlled displays around the country!

I did contact XYZ Networks a few weeks ago bringing their attention to ACL and the community, they do know about the forum but they said they hadnt decided on the format for 2011, looks like they have now and are only focussing on streets of lights and not individual displays.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
The production company who contacted me and who is looking after the Lifestyle applications and putting together the promo is "Beyond" http://www.beyond.com.au/corporate - based in Sydney. They do a number of their own shows as well as post production on others - eg Mythbusters.

I also informed them that many (if not most) of the Australian computer control Christmas lights enthusiasts frequent ACL forums.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
It appears that the Lifestyle production "Great Aussie Christmas Lights" is proceeding and will be based on a street somewhere in Sydney - I dont know which one. However, they are also planning to include individual displays from other areas and interstate.

I have been approached and have agreed to participate (if everything proceeds as planned), but the catch is they need to film early November. This will make it a rush job, but the bright side is I will have several weeks to create additional sequences before the main viewing season starts in December.

Just hope we don't have the BIG WET again. Corrosion killed some of my 2010 lights, but I was agreeably surprised that the Big W strings stood up very well.

Regards Geoff

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Early November. I should be right to get back of roof's by then if you need a hand Geoff.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I was also approached, with an early November start.

However it seems the show doesn't have a big enough budget to send a crew over to SA. They appear to be focusing on NSW and Qld.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Film crew arrives tomorrow (6 Nov). I've just had a test run and I do have something to show. However, it's been a very stressful last few weeks getting the lights in place and developing a suitable sequence.

Will let you know how it goes.

Geoff

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Best of Luck Geoff. Looking forward to seeing it. Might show up with an Esky tomorrow and have a look. that should take the edge off. Lol