Thinking about next year

Bird

LOR user
In that process, I have decided this is the place to do it. Everyone has been so friendly and nice not to mention the incredible mass of great information available here.
My idea is to start playing with coro designs as I have played with coro in the past. I have a local source for the coro. My thought is to use low voltage RGB light strings and modules for the coro. Unclear as to what or how many designs etc I will make.
Going down the DMX path. I will be using AVD's equipment since you all know it so well. I am sure I will need lots of your assistance to get started down the DMX road. Keep in mind I have never used DMX, all I know about DMX is what my poor brain has "tried" to absorb from these forums.
My first thought is to get the 48 Channel DC Controller (DMX Input). Assuming this should run RGB, this should leave me enough room for starters assuming you do not need to populate every channel for it to operate correctly. Your recommendations as to power supply, best RGB lights and all other hardware etc. will be greatly appreciated. The recommendations will be purchased also.

If you need additional info please let me know.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If your planning for next year then no need to jump in straight away as this hobby can move very fast with new technologies and controllers that may surface in 2012, so just keep absorbing in all the info and before you know it will be able to make informed decisions on which path will best suit you.
As far as coro is concerned, coro and RGB lighting go perfectly together, most of my display elements in 2011 have been made with coro, it allows you to be very creative.

Bird

LOR user
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
If you're planning for next year then no need to jump in straight away as this hobby can move very fast with new technologies and controllers that may surface in 2012,

The old tried and well tested is probably best for me. I don't have DMX geeks that live close by, therefore I will most likely not be looking for new releases. I will have a large learning curve with the whole DMX universe already. LOR seems to be about as close to plug and play as a person can expect for animated lighting and that is my total experience at this point.

Maybe next year for the 2013 show I might be in a better position to try the new stuff. For now I have to follow the :-* KISS theory.

Bird

LOR user
OK .. so here are my thoughts.
I want to create a matrix board for the front of the house.

Size will be 2.5m x 1.875m (98.4"x73.8") This will leave 157mm (6.2") between each strip.
Strips will be horizontal.

Hardware I believe is needed:
(6) 5m IP68 LPD6803 led dream color strip
(2) 12vdc AC/DC Switching Power Supply
(1) ECG-PIXAD8 Controller

If calculations are correct, each power supply will have a 77% load on them. Of course this is based on the fact that I picked the best/correct PSU's from Mean Well. :)

Other than cables (wiring), Coro (front & back), framing etc., is there any hardware I have missed?
I will be using LOR S3 & SuperStar for programming and control.

Looking for pros, cons, any thoughts or any other opinions of my plans.

I intend to order the hardware the 1st week of 2012.

kane

Dedicated elf
Bird said:
OK .. so here are my thoughts.
I want to create a matrix board for the front of the house.

Size will be 2.5m x 1.875m (98.4"x73.8") This will leave 157mm (6.2") between each strip.
Strips will be horizontal.

Hardware I believe is needed:
(6) 5m IP68 LPD6803 led dream color strip
(2) 12vdc AC/DC Switching Power Supply
(1) ECG-PIXAD8 Controller

If calculations are correct, each power supply will have a 77% load on them. Of course this is based on the fact that I picked the best/correct PSU's from Mean Well. :)

Other than cables (wiring), Coro (front & back), framing etc., is there any hardware I have missed?
I will be using LOR S3 & SuperStar for programming and control.

Looking for pros, cons, any thoughts or any other opinions of my plans.

I intend to order the hardware the 1st week of 2012.
One potential issue is that LOR doesn't currently support e1.31, which would prevent this from working.

Ryan has mentioned that LOR have confirmed that they will support e1.31 in the future.. But unless LOR give a clear roadmap of when this is going to happen, you probably want to be careful about spending too much on something that you may not be able to use!