Tips for securing/enclosing matrices?

aplant92

Full time elf
Hi all,

We’re considering throwing up a matrix (or two) this year as our display currently lacks a “centrepiece”, and I really like the versatility you get with a matrix in terms of what you can display and how you display it.

One thing that’s been bothering me is having something that expensive sitting out on the front lawn.

Does anyone care to share how they’ve gotten around this (maybe just taking it in every night)? I was looking into portable GPS trackers, but not sure if this is overkill.

On the enclosure front, I’m planning on buying waterproof p10s from Ray Wu, but I’m assuming the cabling and backs of these aren’t waterproof (just the LEDs themselves). Any tips or guides on how to build an enclosure for these? I’m thinking 7x7 32x16 panels for reference (and again shout out if this configuration sounds overkill or oddly shaped).

Cheers!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi @aplant92
My P10 matrix is 25 panels in a 5x5 configuration. Mine are the indoor panels but you are correct, the outdoor are only IP rated on the front, not the back.
I built a timber frame with an extra right angle metal brace across the bottom that was added later, and after 2 years out on show there is a little sag due to the weight, so consider a sturdy frame.
Mine is on legs and last year I sat this in front of the roller door and brought it in every day (it stayed out overnight and moved out of the way to get car in/out during the day.) The year prior I had this permanently out against a fence stuck into the ground, however it was difficult to access the rear should there be any issues (I had to power cycle a couple of times as the BBB can be a bit picky.)
Below is a bit of info on matrix behind the scenes:

View: https://youtu.be/Cd0-0sAJ-pE?t=11m20s

Cheers, Graham

aplant92

Full time elf
Hi @aplant92
My P10 matrix is 25 panels in a 5x5 configuration. Mine are the indoor panels but you are correct, the outdoor are only IP rated on the front, not the back.
I built a timber frame with an extra right angle metal brace across the bottom that was added later, and after 2 years out on show there is a little sag due to the weight, so consider a sturdy frame.
Mine is on legs and last year I sat this in front of the roller door and brought it in every day (it stayed out overnight and moved out of the way to get car in/out during the day.) The year prior I had this permanently out against a fence stuck into the ground, however it was difficult to access the rear should there be any issues (I had to power cycle a couple of times as the BBB can be a bit picky.)
Below is a bit of info on matrix behind the scenes:

View: https://youtu.be/Cd0-0sAJ-pE?t=11m20s

Cheers, Graham

Thanks Graham, that’s helpful!

I’m not incredibly handy when it comes to building things, so I’m curious - was that enclosure hard to build? Looks great at any rate!

I note it seems the main reason you move your board is due to access as opposed to security - are you not too worried about it getting pinched? I’m not sure how heavy these things are either, so could be that weight is a preventative measure I haven’t considered!

Also what is it that you have wrapped around the display? Do you find that does the job in terms of waterproofing?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I was initially worried about it being pinched, especially first year when left out 24/7 most of December, but it was fairly well staked into the ground at that point, making it difficult to remove. And yes, it is quite heavy (can't remember weight) but whilst I can move it by myself each day, due to its size and weight it is a little difficult, especially trying not to scratch the cars it lives next to!
The wiring goes under the roller door and is hooked up inside the garage, so if someone did want to try and take it, they would be tethered like a dog on a chain, but I'm sure a forceful pull and they'd be away. Like anything really, it's only the honest criminals that won't be bothered. If they really want to take something, they will.
I have extra piece of mind this year with CCTV cameras covering the front yard installed at the start of the year, recording 24/7, 365. It won't stop theft but may help deter it or track down who did it.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
I am using a P10 Matrix this year to join 2 of the 3 houses I am doing this year together. A fence joins two of the 3 houses together and is the perfect spot for the the matrix.

I created a hanging frame with some scrap left over timber. This 5x6 Panel (30 p10) is quite hefty and flimsy by itself. This is just the nature of these p10 panels. I suggest getting the 90* Brackets (you can 3d print them).

The Frame is just some rough cut MGP 4b2. With some Chipboard screws to create a rectangle frame which then was screwed to the brackets holding the p10 in place. Then some more timber just to make some "J" Hooks. This is then Hung over the fence.

I Will be taking my panel in every night throughout the display season as it is currently not weatherproof which eventually I will make provisions for.
For security you will be amazed how simply a chain and a padlock works. Yes they could cut the chain but it is a good deterrent. Another suggestion is make sure its placed back. The further back something is the less likely it will be taken and no doubt not your average joe would take a big bulky item they would rather take a controller as its lighter and easier to take. I've personally never had to worry about this sort of stuff as I live off a main road and there is barely any traffic.

But for your reference here is currently what I have
625afeaa01fd1a1c42a8e3dcdb619a11.jpg

aplant92

Full time elf
I am using a P10 Matrix this year to join 2 of the 3 houses I am doing this year together. A fence joins two of the 3 houses together and is the perfect spot for the the matrix.

I created a hanging frame with some scrap left over timber. This 5x6 Panel (30 p10) is quite hefty and flimsy by itself. This is just the nature of these p10 panels. I suggest getting the 90* Brackets (you can 3d print them).

The Frame is just some rough cut MGP 4b2. With some Chipboard screws to create a rectangle frame which then was screwed to the brackets holding the p10 in place. Then some more timber just to make some "J" Hooks. This is then Hung over the fence.

I Will be taking my panel in every night throughout the display season as it is currently not weatherproof which eventually I will make provisions for.
For security you will be amazed how simply a chain and a padlock works. Yes they could cut the chain but it is a good deterrent. Another suggestion is make sure its placed back. The further back something is the less likely it will be taken and no doubt not your average joe would take a big bulky item they would rather take a controller as its lighter and easier to take. I've personally never had to worry about this sort of stuff as I live off a main road and there is barely any traffic.

But for your reference here is currently what I have
625afeaa01fd1a1c42a8e3dcdb619a11.jpg
I'm beginning to think the 7x7 I had planned is going to be much bigger than I thought looking at the size of these other panels! Thanks for the info though, that's really helpful and does give me some level of piece of mind that we should be OK assuming we take the right precautions

aplant92

Full time elf
I was initially worried about it being pinched, especially first year when left out 24/7 most of December, but it was fairly well staked into the ground at that point, making it difficult to remove. And yes, it is quite heavy (can't remember weight) but whilst I can move it by myself each day, due to its size and weight it is a little difficult, especially trying not to scratch the cars it lives next to!
The wiring goes under the roller door and is hooked up inside the garage, so if someone did want to try and take it, they would be tethered like a dog on a chain, but I'm sure a forceful pull and they'd be away. Like anything really, it's only the honest criminals that won't be bothered. If they really want to take something, they will.
I have extra piece of mind this year with CCTV cameras covering the front yard installed at the start of the year, recording 24/7, 365. It won't stop theft but may help deter it or track down who did it.
Cameras was another thing I was considering but wasn't sure on price - either way it sounds like you've been OK with some simple, sensible precautions in place, so maybe I am overthinking the security aspect of chucking some panels up.

Aaaron Loveday

New elf
I have made a small version in an enclosed box which I'm currently in the process of finishing as a small option FB_IMG_1537102935150.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537102925730.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537102925730.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 25

richardd

Full time elf
My P10 sit above my garage so security is not an issue. When I made the frame, I made it such a way to allow a piece of perspex to protect the front with the help of roofing silicon to seal it in. For the back, I used Project Panel 2440 x 1220 x 2.5mm Black Corflute from Bunnings

aplant92

Full time elf
Hi @aplant92

I take mine in every night. To keep costs down in my first year I just made a timber frame. Not the best option but it got me through. I was thinking about mounting it but wasn't confident with my handyman skills (translation none) to mount it securely. Mine are also the outdoor panels.

View: https://youtu.be/E3P5hSarBEY?t=12m40s

Yep I'm in the exact same spot when it comes to handyman skills! I'm thinking taking the panels in every night might be a good idea...the frame looks great though! What did you use to make it? I see the timber but it looks like you've got little metal plates on there too? Is that to sure it up?

My P10 sit above my garage so security is not an issue. When I made the frame, I made it such a way to allow a piece of perspex to protect the front with the help of roofing silicon to seal it in. For the back, I used Project Panel 2440 x 1220 x 2.5mm Black Corflute from Bunnings
Have you got a photo of that just so I can see what it looks like? This sounds like it may be more my speed!

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Here is a couple of videos I did of my "Tune To Sign" (4x2 P10 panels), I tried to do it on the cheap with cheap timber and simple plastic to keep it waterproof.
I plan on bringing it in each night (also going to secure it to the letter box with a piece of chain and lock to stop someone trying to walk off with it).
Not sure of the weight, but prob about 10 kg or so.
It might give you some ideas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjOZLR7cbbY&t=214s

I used the Boscoyo mounts (but lots of people 3d print their own or use pieces on aluminium strip etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yr95MS_xqY&t=4s

I have since fitted a strap to top to make carrying it nice and easy

I had it outside last month and used it for another purpose it it survived a couple of down pours.
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cn6m06fbxztw24/Photo%2018-8-18%2C%203%2001%2047%20pm.jpg?dl=0

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Yep I'm in the exact same spot when it comes to handyman skills! I'm thinking taking the panels in every night might be a good idea...the frame looks great though! What did you use to make it? I see the timber but it looks like you've got little metal plates on there too? Is that to sure it up?

I just got L brackets from Bunnings to attach the timber to the panels. Make sure you cross brace it. I just used the left over timber pieces. I sprayed it black - from 20 m it looks good. Up close just shows my painting skills are right up there with my handyman skills - NIL ;)