Tips for securing/enclosing matrices?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i made my p10 with timber, then covered with the clear table cloth, an it still hanging on the house from last year..
my p6's are in a metal box with 2 bolts into the house, (been out there for 2yrs now)
I used to be scared leaving things out, but with the weight of them, i would make more money selling the video of them attempting to steal it.

I also have camera's around the house, so i guess that takes the edge off with them weird noise's during the night..

aplant92

Full time elf
That's great, thanks everyone. I definitely have a better idea of how I'm going to go about this.

I didn't really think about mounting strips or anything like that though... @LawrenceDriveLights is this something you recommend?

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
That's great, thanks everyone. I definitely have a better idea of how I'm going to go about this.

I didn't really think about mounting strips or anything like that though... @LawrenceDriveLights is this something you recommend?

I used the Boscoyo mounting plates for my 4 x 2 tune to sign.

I have since noticed that Boscoyo also do other mounting plates.

https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_52

I liked how with the Boscoyo design you can could incorporate a mount for the power supply and also the Beagle Bone Black which I am using to control my panels.
The mounts seem nice and strong and they fitted really well (all the holes signed up perfect etc).

I would recommend them, but there is also other options like 3D printed mounts or using lengths of aluminium flat bar and drilling holes to suit the panels mounting screws etc, some people have also used steel bars and utilised the little magnetics which can come with the panels to locate them.

Hope that helps

aplant92

Full time elf
I used the Boscoyo mounting plates for my 4 x 2 tune to sign.

I have since noticed that Boscoyo also do other mounting plates.

https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_52

I liked how with the Boscoyo design you can could incorporate a mount for the power supply and also the Beagle Bone Black which I am using to control my panels.
The mounts seem nice and strong and they fitted really well (all the holes signed up perfect etc).

I would recommend them, but there is also other options like 3D printed mounts or using lengths of aluminium flat bar and drilling holes to suit the panels mounting screws etc, some people have also used steel bars and utilised the little magnetics which can come with the panels to locate them.

Hope that helps
Ok cool thanks!

Are things like this required? I haven’t actually got the panels to play with, so not sure how they are just by themselves. Are the strips to hold everything together? Or is it a structural integrity thing?

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Ok cool thanks!

Are things like this required? I haven’t actually got the panels to play with, so not sure how they are just by themselves. Are the strips to hold everything together? Or is it a structural integrity thing?

You will need some way of mounting the panels, I decided to use the Boscoyo strips to hold them

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf

aplant92

Full time elf
@LawrenceDriveLights just watching your video on the strips, and I was wondering about the power connectors you've got for the panels (they look like 4 pin molex?).

Did you crimp these yourself? Or buy them from somewhere?

If you did crimp how did you do it? And if you did buy, where did you buy from? :p

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
@LawrenceDriveLights just watching your video on the strips, and I was wondering about the power connectors you've got for the panels (they look like 4 pin molex?).

Did you crimp these yourself? Or buy them from somewhere?

If you did crimp how did you do it? And if you did buy, where did you buy from? :p

The connectors all come with the panels (I did have to extend a couple due to the layout of my panels).

I would however recommend getting some 16 way IDC ribbon cable and connectors (the grey cable in the video) as you will need some longer lengths then what is supplied depending again on how you layout your panels.

I purchased the 16 way IDC ribbon cable and connectors from Alan Hanson Electronics at he same time I purchased the ocotoscrolla from him.

http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/idc16_ribbon/

http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/idc16_connector/