TM 1804 Chip

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi,
You know, we are in the middle of a jungle regarding the amount of available chips in the market.
Who really knows who is better than the other?

At this stage is too early as this year is the really year where a lot of members begins to use Strings and Strips using those chip embedded.

Who is the clone of who? Difficult to identify, but we know Chineese are the Masters of Copy ;)

The most populars today : 6803 and 2801. The difference will come from the resolution and grey levels they can manage and of course the number of components to work around for each chip.

Each choice can be discussed of course...

From my side, i choiced 2801 : cheap itself (19cts) and i elaborate my own electronics around and I use ECG with TP3244 who were elaborated this year by our members for Christmass...

So you have really the choice, but don't go to far on Exotic chips like the strips using HL1606, who are really limited.

Hope this helps on your choice.

First of all : Datasheet to check the specs and possibilities, then controllers to use that..

Maybe your chip is really a good one, who knows ?

Cheers Henri

Tabor

Full time elf
Andrew and myself discussed this chip maybe 6 six weeks ago.

It looks good and worth the testing next year.

It has a very wide voltage range, from memory up to and over 24v.

Again from memory it is a two wire communication, and has slower data rate available.

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
I was definitely thinking of buying a couple items with this chip in to see what I could get out of it. It looks promising, and with Ray's prices, it's worth it.

If I remember correctly it had 8bits per color so 24bits total. The datasheet is out there, but in Chinese, so google translate will be our friend.

dmoore

Senior elf
Tabor said:
Andrew and myself discussed this chip maybe 6 six weeks ago.

It looks good and worth the testing next year.

It has a very wide voltage range, from memory up to and over 24v.

Again from memory it is a two wire communication, and has slower data rate available.

24volts - now we're talking. Hmm.. maybe this is what RJ has used on his pixel nodes?

That would solve some issues for me so I wouldn't have to cut-n-splice my pixel strip to inject power.

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
Just ordered an arduino as the first half of my christmas present (to myself), should be able to talk to this thing somehow... Gonna order some of these chip modules to test. Do you guys think it's worth getting the controller ray sells for $20 for it?

TimW

Full time elf
I'd say if the translated datasheet is legible enough you could get by without the additional controller. I did look at this a couple of weeks ago and thought I had enough to code with... but I may be wrong!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
chilloutdocdoc said:
Gonna order some of these chip modules to test. Do you guys think it's worth getting the controller ray sells for $20 for it?
For only $20, I'd order it so you have something known to compare your DIY solution to.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
I'm in China next week, and will be picking up some stuff i've had put together..( including this chip ) On paper this chip looks ok, my concern is about its manufacture quality, as its made in Mainland china, and so far all of the chipsets i've looked at that are of mainland origin are just poorly manufactured. THe ws2801 is made in taiwan and things are better there.

FYI, price is very similar to a WS2801,