Transmitting and new digital radios

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im just wondering if people are starting to see issues when transmitting with the music being delayed due to new cars using digital based radios. Have people noticed some radios with delays and is it becoming an issue?

Bill

Keep Moving Forward
Wow nobody chimed in? I think the digital aspect is only on HD radio with the buffer. The radios can still take the old non HD signal non-buffered so there wouldn't be a delay. Is anyone running an HD output FM

nato595

Let's do this!
I don't have any delay issues, but I definitely have signal clarity issues between two cars. In one car I can hear the music crystal clear for two blocks, in my other car I have static even right in front of the house with the exception of a few very specific parking spots.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'd be surprised if any radio that is receiving with an FM tuner is going to apply any delay. The FM signal is real time and analog and can't be improved by buffering.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I'd be surprised if any radio that is receiving with an FM tuner is going to apply any delay. The FM signal is real time and analog and can't be improved by buffering.
From what I believe, New cars with digital radios are now buffering the audio. I am guessing with digital radio it could be necessary, but some of these radios even if you are tuned to standard FM are still buffering and delaying the audio.
I also believe however, there is a button on these radios where you can turn the delay off.

Kitman

Full time elf
My car has both Digital and Analog radio available, if I want to listen to digital radio stations I select the DAB option else I select the FM option. I do notice that the Digital radio station has a delay over the Analog radio station, if I am listening to the Analog radio and switch to the same station on Digital I can hear the same conversation again roughly 10 to 15 seconds worth, however if I compare my car radio on Analog with an old Analog FM radio there is no delay at all.

Unless you are broadcasting Digital radio there should be no delay between transmitter and receiver, I don't know why radios would introduce a delay on the analog signal it makes no sense unless it is converting it to digital for upscaling for better quality?