Troubleshoot Nodes

damona

Full time elf
Hi Guys,
I have 4 wire nodes string, X nodes in and it stops working. However some times it must work for a few seconds or milliseconds and lights stay on above the nodes that are working and no not change until it works again for a few milliseconds. Which sort of indicates the data signal is having issues.

I have swapped output cables from the control e.g. Move the issue string onto a different output, no difference.

However tonight a colder night (few drops of rain), all the lights/nodes in the string are working find. The wires and square nodes are black so you can not see any of the inner working.

Any thoughts on tools etc to use to solve the problem.

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have seen similar issues due to voltage and also a broken ground connection when there is power injection on the far side. I would try running the string as close as possible to the controller to see if the issue goes away, Measuring the voltage at both ends of the string might show if there's a power problem. Below about 9V on 12V strings and 3.5V on 5V strings and you will often see latching up of the pixels. This often requires the power to be turned off then on again to clear the problem. If there is a broken ground connection (or possibly even a broken 5V/12V) and you have power injection past that point then removing the power injection for the sake of the test will show up where the problem is. The pixels will work up to where the problem is.

damona

Full time elf
Turning off and on once did appear to solve it once. It looks like the same node is always the only last one to work (all the time) about 20 nodes in. i.e its in the first 1/4. The string is 5v.