Troubleshoot P12

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
By wiring between the two PSUs you will create a common ground. And you can still hook cables up to the negatives on both of the PSU's.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Sorry to be dense, I thought I understood what was meant before about tying common ground.
I have terminal blocks with the controllers to connect the power out to the pixels. So, would you tie the common ground at the supply or at the end with the terminal blocks or it doesn't matter? Check new pic - is this how I'd do it? (Just wanting to double check before I do something silly)

Attachments

• tree power supply possible.jpg
    tree power supply possible.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 19

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Cool. So just as I scribbled in the picture - a simple wire across? These supplied feed not only lights but the controllers too, won't hurt them?

burner

Full time elf
You need to bring the ground level to a common reference (so they are the same). Yes you can still use the negative terminals on the PSU for powering your lights. There's plenty of space there (3 * + terminals and 3 * - terminals).

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Ok, I've tied the grounds together and the "twinkling" has stopped. However now all the strings on that first board seem to freeze after the first few seconds of sequence is sent - the lights stay on what ever colour they hapen to be. The rest of the lights all continue the sequence as normal. It's only a 30second test sequence. I've tried changing the speed up to 4000 as suggested and no go. Any other ideas? Thanks.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Ahhhhh just looking at my SS I think I've put too many pix on the first supply - I haven't taken into account the first section (35 pixels) will be powered by that first supply.

I have 1260 pixels off 1 supply. I had planned on 1120 - is that still too much?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
David_AVD said:
1260 pixels x 0.06A (per pixel) = 75.6 Amps !!!

Way more than the PSU and that cabling can handle I'd say.

I am sure your .06a is actually more like .03a, but that is still 37.8a!

EDIT: Late night maths fail! David was right

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I run 1003 5V pixels off a 250W 5V PSU and it handles it fine, but that's about the limit I'd be willing to push, and next year I'll be getting a slightly larger meanwell PSU to handle it better

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
lithgowlights said:
I run 1003 5V pixels off a 250W 5V PSU and it handles it fine, but that's about the limit I'd be willing to push, and next year I'll be getting a slightly larger meanwell PSU to handle it better

1003 x 0.3w = 300.9 watts, still 10a (50w) above your power supply (before you even take into account psu efficiency)

EDIT: Late night maths fail!