Trying to work out lighting

Michael payne

New elf
Hi there everyone I have brought 2 packs of big w lights.so far I have cut the wires and tried hooking them up to a power supply and nothing happens. They have 4 strands of wire going around it. 2 go to the lights and 2 seam like they just run around the lights and dont touch anything. If anyone know anything please help

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Michael.
The newer Big W lights tend to be 2 wire 2 channel ones that need a specific controller to run. My DMX2-18 is what is required to get computer control over them.
What voltage power supply are you connecting to? It quite likely that they will need at least a 27V power supply before they light up at all.If it is the new 2 wire 2 channel style lights then hooking up direct to a power supply will only light up every second led. Reversing the wires will light up the alternate ones,
Can you post a pic of the controller

Michael payne

New elf
I was running a 24v power pack when they are 30v apparently. Anyone I got others working but have used full string. But now I now have this problem where I have a raindeer and only the head lights up and nothing else but if I plug it in to the wall with the box on it the whole string work please can someone have a look and give me tips also I am running the right power supply this time.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
What exactly are you wanting to achieve?
  • Do you want them to just stay on?
  • Are you trying to use multiple sets with a common power supply?
  • Are you wanting to actually control them via a controller and sequencing software?

Michael payne

New elf
I found the problem and so far all is good.the power supply was turned down so it wasnt powering all the light and need to turn it up

Michael payne

New elf
I have the program lor on my PC and I have had a friend come around and program the board to my PC. I have alot of fairy light that I am trying to make them give to the music and now I have got that working.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.