Community project designer
Generous elf
I have one (maybe two) left.

The board is $27.50 , postage is $8.25 and the 3 way ribbon is $2.00

PayPal email is david@da-share.com

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Finally got a panel today from Ray Wu, I have plugged it together and it is working but the panel is not very bright. I see the controller voltage is 5v and the panel is 6v.

Kev

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
All of the common 1/8 scan P10 panels I've seen are 5V.

If you have one that needs 6V, I guess you could try using a 6V power supply instead.

The APC961 boards I sent out have a regulator on them (to feed the PIC at 3.3V) so will take 6V with no damage.

Whether the P10 panel will accept 3.3V data when running at 6V supply is something I don't know.

ShayneT

Apprentice elf
David,

Thanks again for making this possible. Here is my Halloween setup - now have to come up with a Christmas version.

Shayne

Attachments

• IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 44

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Quick question for the group. The tune to signs will be the only things in my display at 5V, I'll have 12V available throughout the yard. What is the easiest way to run each sign from 12V, buck converter?
If I have 2 Ray Wu panels and a board per sign what is the likely power consumption?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
DavidJ247 said:
Quick question for the group. The tune to signs will be the only things in my display at 5V, I'll have 12V available throughout the yard. What is the easiest way to run each sign from 12V, buck converter?
If I have 2 Ray Wu panels and a board per sign what is the likely power consumption?

I guess you could do that (I'll let the experts confirm!) but if you have the signs far apart (either side of yard for example) then you would probably suffer voltage drop from the PSU from one side to the other.
I only have 1 panel and it will stay inside front window, but I'm powering it from a 5v phone charger, just need to splice the USB cable to the pos/neg wires.

https://youtu.be/Z0jj-LlKyJI

DavidJ247

Full time elf
I guess you could do that (I'll let the experts confirm!) but if you have the signs far apart (either side of yard for example) then you would probably suffer voltage drop from the PSU from one side to the other.
I only have 1 panel and it will stay inside front window, but I'm powering it from a 5v phone charger, just need to splice the USB cable to the pos/neg wires.

Tune to phone charger - YouTube

Thanks Graham, I'm planning to have 2 signs, one at either side of the yard (we're on a corner) but I'd power each separately. I mentioned 2 panels per board because I may make each sign double sided, not sure yet.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I used a DC-DC converter to power the tune-to controller and two P10 panels at the QLD mini.

It was 24V DC input and 5V output, rated at 3 Amps.

You could probably get away with a 1 Amp rated DC-DC converter for a single panel.