Turning on controllers and connected lights

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Is there a optimal way of turning on controllers and lights so that things don't get damaged.

I have one PSU that powers my controllers and also direct injects the power into some of the lights connected to the outputs. This means when I turn on the power the lights get power at the same time as the controller. Is there any risk of damage with the lights getting powered before the controller has got a signal/connection from the computer.

If this is an issue, how do people get around it. Is it preferable to have a PSU for the controller and another for the lights which gets turned on last. I could probably do this as I ordered twice as many PSUs as required to have back ups.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Excellent. Thank you. Was hoping that might be the case.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is fine but I wouldn't be turning them on whilst the data is already being sent to the lights and the lights running just as a precaution.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I noticed yesterday afternoon that the first pixel seems to light up when you turn everything on and then turns off when the controller connects to the computer. Does this happen to everyone. Is it something to be concerned about.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Yes there is generally a flash at power up and depended on which controller your using it can be the whole string of lights.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks superman. One less thing to be concerned about. Gradually working my way through the list.