Two controllers to same light strip

nato595

Let's do this!
Is it possible... and not stupid, to wire up two different pixel controllers to the same WS2811 light strip?
Why you ask? I can't think of a better way to have a matrix controlled part of the time by FPP and part of the time by a J1Sys ECG-P controller on my E1.31 network from LOR.
Still why you are asking? I'm comfortable with LOR and J1Sys controllers and don't want to fully migrate to anything else at this point in time, but I'd like to do some cool things on a matrix during show intermission time (between shows) like the FPP feature of SMS texting a name to display, or playing with other visual effects that will slow my LOR setup too much, but I may want to use the matrix during my show controlled from LOR as well.
So, if possible (and not stupid), do I just hook the Data line of both controllers to the first pixel and that's it?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
No, you can't have two controllers feeding the same pixels.

One solution would be to have a relay that switches the pixel's data wire between the two controller outputs.

The relay could be activated by a DC output (another channel) as part of the sequence.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I do a similar thing where I have my controllers running from a standalone system, but then I wanted the option to have connected live with the IPad. So I have both the standalone controller and the IPad connected to the same network, all I do is disconnect the network cable for the standalone controller when using the IPad and if wanting to use the standalone controller I just disconnect the IPad. im sure I can just block the data packets from the master controller if I wanted to do this remotely
If both are connected and working then it flickers because its getting the data from both connections

So instead at looking at switching the output light data, instead think about switching the network data which means you don't have to use a second output controller