Answered Understanding ports & channels

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Hi All,

Let me preface this by saying I am very new to controllers and I am just trying to get my head around the entire controller setup using xLights.
I am using the RPI-28D+ and falcon player.

I was successful in setting up the controller and running 2 models from a single port (WS2811 pixel string 1) - essentially it's one string wired across a tree and star.
Sequences work, falcon player shows the model names etc and everything is still working great.

Seemed like a good time to attempt adding a small string of pixels (45 nodes) onto the 2nd port.

Channel setup is 1 to 315 (105 pixel count) on port 1 (working :thumbsup:)

Initially I setup the 2nd port from channel 316 and I was getting no output from the string. I've also tried 513 being the start of the next universe.
I was trying to follow this video from Keith and he recommends starting each port in a new universe at channel 1 - this is 3 year old advice so is this still advisable?

The RPI-28D manual suggests sticking to the 512 rule so universe 1 is 1 to 512 and universe 2 is 513 to 1024 and so on.

When I initially setup falcon player, I manually keyed all the data in for all 16 universes this device can output.
I've seen from youtube videos xLights pushing the config across, but I haven't been able to do this (I'm assuming it's because it's not an actual falcon board).

I'm pretty sure my issue is based on the configuration of the 'Input/Output' -> 'Channel Ouputs' -> 'other' screen,
From Hanson Electronics page, I am unable to replicate this screen the same. I do not have an option for RPIWS281X, I can only add a 2nd SPI-WS2801

Appreciate any help to point me in the right direction, thanks.

Last edited:

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Xlights is becoming the program where you don't really need to understand Universes / Channels as it will upload all of that information for you.

When In xlights you state your controller making sure you select the make / model. In your case you can select FPP and a Pi Hat. When you create your models you can then go back to setup page in Xlights and click the visualiser. You simply drag the props to that specific port. When you have completed that you click upload outputs at the bottom. which will configure the string ports.

Pavle

Thanks, that makes some sense now and as soon as I selected Pi Hat, it activated the three buttons at the bottom.

When you have completed that you click upload outputs at the bottom.

When I clicked upload outputs, I get a note in the bottom left corner that says "FPP Output Upload Failed"

If I go Tools -> FPP Connect I can see my controller and can upload media and models from here successfully.

<edit>

I wasn't connected via ethernet. As soon as I plugged in, the upload outputs now works.
Issue I will now have is if I proceed to set everything up whilst on ethernet, when I use wifi, I get a different IP address so my xlights controller address would be incorrect - how do I overcome this?

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi All,

Let me preface this by saying I am very new to controllers and I am just trying to get my head around the entire controller setup using xLights.
I am using the RPI-28D+ and falcon player.

I was successful in setting up the controller and running 2 models from a single port (WS2811 pixel string 1) - essentially it's one string wired across a tree and star.
Sequences work, falcon player shows the model names etc and everything is still working great.

Seemed like a good time to attempt adding a small string of pixels (45 nodes) onto the 2nd port.

Channel setup is 1 to 315 (105 pixel count) on port 1 (working :thumbsup:)

Initially I setup the 2nd port from channel 316 and I was getting no output from the string. I've also tried 513 being the start of the next universe.
I was trying to follow this video from Keith and he recommends starting each port in a new universe at channel 1 - this is 3 year old advice so is this still advisable?

The RPI-28D manual suggests sticking to the 512 rule so universe 1 is 1 to 512 and universe 2 is 513 to 1024 and so on.

When I initially setup falcon player, I manually keyed all the data in for all 16 universes this device can output.
I've seen from youtube videos xLights pushing the config across, but I haven't been able to do this (I'm assuming it's because it's not an actual falcon board).

I'm pretty sure my issue is based on the configuration of the 'Input/Output' -> 'Channel Ouputs' -> 'other' screen,
From Hanson Electronics page, I am unable to replicate this screen the same. I do not have an option for RPIWS281X, I can only add a 2nd SPI-WS2801

Appreciate any help to point me in the right direction, thanks.

My manuals are being outdated much faster than I can get them updated. The 2811 outputs are now under Pi Pixel Strings.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
As you have Wifi and Ethernet connected you will ultimately have 2 IP addressess on the pi as seen at the top of your FPP page.

Can you access your FPP from your xlights computer when its only on Wifi? Or are you using some sort of bridge?

I've always been a big fan on ethernet wherever I can get it as it tends to solve a lot of issues.

Pavle

Can you access your FPP from your xlights computer

yep, I’ve been able to upload sequences as well as start playlists etc all over wifi.

thinking about it a bit more, I don’t think it’s an issue once I’ve configured the show using Ethernet, I just shut it down, move it to its display location and power it on. I’ll only have wifi, but all I need to do is access it to manually run something or shut it down, the remaining time it will be on a schedule. Probably just over thinking it being my first

since last night, I’ve now discovered I’ve actually got an issue with the pixel string I’ve been testing with. I can’t get any activity from it out of either port. When I plug my tree back in that works correctly, so looks like I’ve gotta troubleshoot my test string.

thanks for the help

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
yep, I’ve been able to upload sequences as well as start playlists etc all over wifi.

thinking about it a bit more, I don’t think it’s an issue once I’ve configured the show using Ethernet, I just shut it down, move it to its display location and power it on. I’ll only have wifi, but all I need to do is access it to manually run something or shut it down, the remaining time it will be on a schedule. Probably just over thinking it being my first

since last night, I’ve now discovered I’ve actually got an issue with the pixel string I’ve been testing with. I can’t get any activity from it out of either port. When I plug my tree back in that works correctly, so looks like I’ve gotta troubleshoot my test string.

thanks for the help
Check your data direction on the string and confirm that you definitely have the +,- and data going to the right terminals.

Pavle

Check your data direction on the string and confirm that you definitely have the +,- and data going to the right terminals.

thanks Alan, I knew it was most likely user error, I just didn’t have access to a meter to confirm (plus I got it right on the tree - go figure).

anyways, I’m up and running now and as per this thread I can now agree that you gotta test every pigtail and wire it accordingly :D Glad I got that lesson out of the way nice & early.

Reactions: AAH