Updates???

mike williamson

Apprentice elf
I,v been away from lights for 2 years now and just opened xlights on computer and it says
xlights beta (ver 4.2.25) Dec 9,2015 .
Do I need to update it ? also using 2 falcon boards (f16v2) Do I update them too?

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hi mike not really sure if you have too! But would highly recommend has come a long way in last couple of years some really cool new effects ! And awesome new features plus lot more user friendly I reckon . Im having trouble keeping up with the updates myself upto 19 already this year I believe !

mike williamson

Apprentice elf
thanks but playing around with computer and uninstalled and rei nstaled it anyway. But now comes this years additions. Going to try and start from scratch .

keithsw1111

Senior elf
The latest xlights should still be able to open your old show and play it as it was back then. A few things have changed since you have been away. Probably the most noticable will be the layout tab which is a lot easier to use. As Grinch says there are lots of effects and options changes as well to keep you amused.

livetoride

Full time elf
Hey Mike, Its Daniel Parker from the xlights Facebook page. Anything that you need help with mate just let us know. If i cant help im sure one of the other smart cookies will be able to!

mike williamson

Apprentice elf
What I had is a 32x30 string tree running off a f16v2 each output 1-15 runs 2x32 strings (up and down) the other is just 5x50 arches run from 5 outputs.My last year I could get the arches to work but the tree would only run about 5 outputs 13,14,15 .so this year I have deleted all the setup in xlights and tried to start again. I am NOT a computer wiz at all and things like numbers ( channels , universes And how many of each node go into each) start to confuse the hell out of me.Now what I want to do is pretty much max out all ports in setup so I can fill as much into each port as possible. I am adding heeps to my house this year ( if I can get it setup) once I click and know what I,m doing I will be fine but until then I am just stumped.I,v read watched and googled so much it has confused me even more but every now and then another bit clicks and works . 1st question is in xlights The f16v2 can run 680 pixels from each output and there is 16 outputs Why is mine setup to 32 outputs and only 510 channels? )Set up from a helper my last year) That has got me to start with.2nd) what is the numbers. eg, 3 channels =1 node 680 nodes = 1 output ext. how many in universe and so on? so I can right it down for ref later. 3rd) if I add single strings to the roof outline of house view does it matter if I go left to right or right to left. I also have strings that can not be seen in view that go toward the back of the house how will that work?But for now If I can get the basics set I can work on other stuff later. I hope this helps

Gilrock

Full time elf
xLights doesn't need to know how many outputs you plan to use to run your tree. There are many ways you can define it. You need to decide if you want the zig-zag defined in xLights or in the F16v2. Lets says you wanted to do it in xLights you could just tell xLights its 16 strings of 60 with 2 strands per string. That will create a 32x30 tree with zig-zag. That will define contiguous channels for the tree so in the F16v2 all you need to do is define which channel begins at each output. So xLights doesn't need to know whether it's 4, 8, 16, or whatever. We just create the channel output and then you route that channel in the Falcon. It's like sending mail....you just provide the destination....you don't need to know how many post offices will be involved along the way.