Using LED strings with LOR

Boardies

New elf
Hi All
Totally new to using LOR and really need some advice
Have bought some LED strings from a Christmas lights supplier and told the shop owner that I would be using LOR, to which he told me I would need to cut off the "controllers" and wire directly into a DC LOR controller
LOR have advised me I would need a CMB16D - QC controller and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or links to information about how these work, what to do with the LED strings when you have cut off their controllers and any other advice about how to get LED strings working with LOR as the shop owner told me that the standard 240 v LOR controller (of which I currently have 1!!) will blow the LED controllers
Please be aware I am a complete novice and have only the average understanding of electronics but would really appreciate some help and guidance from anyone
Thanks
Tony

[color=rgb(20.000000%, 39.607998%, 100.000000%)]
[/color]

[/color][color=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]
[/color]

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Welcome - BIG WARNING its is 11 months till the next show time - DO NOT commit to LOR yet you have plenty of time and there are far more cost effective ways to run your show - David AVD sells a 48 channel board for about $200 & AAH sells a 60 channel board for about the same price. I used 11 of David's boards and they ran like gems.
Do not rush into it read Eddy's lighting book and become familiar with what is available. There are plenty around to help you with this sometimes steep learning curve

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Not to mention the cost of pixels is almost the same as 'normal' RGB LEDs which means you may make the change to an ECG-Px style controller and 2811 pixels.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Tony

Although I only use LOR, I agree with the other posts here as well. Take your time and decide which is best for you and your wallet. DYI has more learning, LOR is more plug-n-play. DIY is more cost effective, LOR is more expensive.
Both DIY and LOR have lots of support in these forums, so whatever you decide, you will find help from a lot of friendly folks.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The guys who responded before me are spot on, dont rush out yet and get anything, spend the time absorbing the available info and asking questions before you decide to commit, many times in the past i have seen people new buy things early in the year only for their plan to change as they learn more of their available options.

But start with the ACL 101 lighting manual, it may take a few reads to absorb the info, but that will be a good start for you in seeing what are the best options.

Ozemate

New elf
I have LOR software running 2 X LOR DC boards and 7 X AVD boards in DMX mode all running nicely. A lot depends on what you want to do with your lights, but take your time.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hi there and welcome to ACL.

I have 1 x 240v LOR, 2 x CMB16Q's, 2 x DC48's and 1 x Mega60.

Usually on the box of the lights that you bought what voltage they are e.g 24v, 31v etc. You then buy a DC board (be it LOR, DC48 or M60) then buy the power supply that matches the lights.

I chopped off quite a few controllers last year, e.g 31v, of course be sure to stick something on the lights to say what voltage they are. Then got a 27v power supply and adjusted it to 32v and hooked em up, viola :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It might be shells NZ accent but she probably means voila :)