Using pixel strip outdoors long term ?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm guessing most people here would only have their pixel strip creations outdoors for 8-10 weeks per year.

Has anyone used pixel strip outdoors on a permanent basis? If so, was it solid silicone or silicone sleeved?

I've noticed that the solid silicone seems to darken more over the years compared to the sleeves.

At night there's no real difference to the overall effect, but these will be seen during the day as well so I don't want it to look daggy.

Also, what I don't like about the sleeved version is the possibility of them splitting and allowing water ingress.

The (5V 2812 30/m) strips will be probably be mounted in shallow U channels of various lengths and be part of a sign.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
David_AVD said:
I'm guessing most people here would only have their pixel strip creations outdoors for 8-10 weeks per year.

Has anyone used pixel strip outdoors on a permanent basis? If so, was it solid silicone or silicone sleeved?

I've noticed that the solid silicone seems to darken more over the years compared to the sleeves.

At night there's no real difference to the overall effect, but these will be seen during the day as well so I don't want it to look daggy.

Also, what I don't like about the sleeved version is the possibility of them splitting and allowing water ingress.

The (5V 2812 30/m) strips will be probably be mounted in shallow U channels of various lengths and be part of a sign.

I have white led strip (solid silicon) an pixel strip (silicon sleeved) , also 24v rope light (some white flexable stuff)

the solid stuff darkens faster, an gets brittle (harder to fix dead sections)

the pixel strip is great but the wind an sun makes the solder joins in the strip weak (easyer to fix)

the rope light looks like a long brown piece of turd now an semi works (not worth fixing)

thats my views on them

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'd recommend mounting the strip inside aluminum extrusion section if your going to permanently mount strip outside. It looks neat has a nice diffusion and won't discolour

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
David, I have 10M permanently attached to the front path arch which is fully exposed, not sure if it's 18 months or 30 months but i think 30 months old, not sign of discolouring or splitting

P5070071.jpg

The stuff on the sleigh looks the same and is at least the same age, and only got undercover this year.
P5070068.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Thanks for the input guys.

I was also looking at the extrusion with the clip-in face, but not sure if they are UV rated.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
I'd recommend mounting the strip inside aluminum extrusion section if your going to permanently mount strip outside. It looks neat has a nice diffusion and won't discolour

I have had aluminium channel with a diffused cover on the front of my house since January so I can have permanent strip on my house gutter outline. The diffuser is PMMA so its UV safe and the aluminium channel has not shown any signs of corrosion. Looks clean and professional during the day and diffuses the strip nicely during the night

I have a heap of different types in 3 metre lengths i imported early in the year if anyone is interested

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Aluminium Profile 1 small.jpg
    Aluminium Profile 1 small.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Aluminium Profile 2 small.jpg
    Aluminium Profile 2 small.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 121

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BensChristmasLights said:
would love to see them at the Sydney mini eddy they look like a great idae

I will bring the demo panel with me to show people the different types, how they look and how they can be used for different applications

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
Eddy, they look like the ticket.

Can you email me the pricing and quantities on the ones you have ?

Please PM your email as i cant attach an attachment to a PM

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
eddy would these be able to be used with nodes or only with strip and if so would they handle being on a roof line