Using RGB LED Message Boards

ruxtonrider

New elf
Hi ya'll, another newbie here.... Question numero uno for me.... I was wondering if anyone has ever incorporated an LED message sign into their Christmas displays, the kind you see in front of business'? Here in the states, one supplier offers a 16x96 sign for $5,000US, but I can have one delivered to my door from China for $1200US. My question is, has anyone ever dealt with these folks at Shenzhen Yuhong Electronics Co.,Ltd., and if so, are they reliable, as they don't deal with Paypal where you have "some" protection. Thanks, Todd Sestero, Baltimore MD USA

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You will have to consider how you want to run this as you may have issues using these with your sequencing software, so before you spend the money do your research on how you intend to use it, sequence it and connect it up

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
As far as China goes, deal through a clearing house such an alibaba or global resources. They have their own escrow account and the vendor is not paid until you get your product. Most in China will work with you through paypal, you just have to contact them. Your credit card does offer some protection, but I would be very careful.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Not sure "how" you intend to incorporate one into your display, but I have a 14" x 40" scrolling Led message 2 line sign that I use with my display. I purchased it on eBay 4 years ago and use it to do announcements for my shows as well as display the tune to frequency, show hours, and other information. It has worked great for me and people tell me that it is nice to see and get the information on it as they drive by.
I do not have it tied into the display in any way and use the software that came with the sign to control it. I can set it to display things based on what time it is as well as it shuts off the display portion of itself when the actual shows start. I run the software for it on the same computer that my shows as well as Zara radio runs on with a Cat 5 cable run out to the sign so that I can make any changes I want on the fly.
So for me it has been a very good thing to have and use. I think that the only thing better will be when I can get to the point of having either video displayed or else have a large matrix to run text and video on but that of course is going to cost some to do. This was a relatively inexpensive sign (I think it was around $350) to me and certainly has paid for itself.

Bird

LOR user
Bill Ellick said:
..... I have a 14" x 40" scrolling Led message 2 line sign that I use with my display ..... I purchased it on eBay 4 years ago ..... This was a relatively inexpensive sign (I think it was around $350) to me and certainly has paid for itself.
Do you have a make and model or know if it is still available anywhere?

ruxtonrider

New elf
Thanks everyone for their ideas. I plan on using it as a freestanding device, not connected to anything else. I'll be using it to say things like Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..... I must say that reading all of the information from the forums is most educational.. lotsa good stuff here!

mick8248

Full time elf

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I think you'll find that only the more expensive (> $1000) variable message signs are controllable to any useful degree (RS232 / RS485 port).