Ventilation - Masters boxes

Habbosrus

Back again
Last year I had my power supplies and controllers inside and ran my cables out to lights. It worked fine but this year I need to have them outside nearer to my lights. I have the Masters $10 boxes that I bought last year and didn't use. I am a little concerned about ventilation/heat build up. All of my power supplies will only be running around 50%. I bought some of these from RS components. They will provide a little ventilation, but not much. Am I (literally) playing with fire by only providing such a small ventilation hole? I plan to have 2 on each box.

Attachments

• R0454791-02.jpg
    R0454791-02.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 26

franky_888

Full time elf
Are your boxes out in the weather? For my ones I've cut a hole in the top left hand side and screwed an exhausing fan to it, and I'm going to leave the 'glands' out of the bottom for the air to enter. I wouldn't be putting mine out in the open weather though (they'll be under eaves / verandah's).

I can't really tell how large the openings are, but if you left the rubber out of the bottom of the case, and put both these vents toward the top of your enclosure it may work in your favour.

I can take some pics of mine tonight if you want.

benzor84

Apprentice elf
short answer is yes.
also please be aware masters boxes are not waterproof. they dont seal properly.

You either need big waterproof vents for convection to be able to work. Or you will need forced cooling (fans)
I use a 40mm pipe elbow and a floor flange from bunnings to give my enclosures snouts. this allows them to breathe and still be waterproof.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
More sad news on the Masters boxes is the "Everday low price" of $10 seems to be $19.95 now

Habbosrus

Back again
The enclosures will be mounted to the underside of our balcony and I intend to have them set as far back as possible (approx. 1.8mtrs) from the edge. They won't be directly in the weather at all. My main concern is our proximity to the beach. We live a stone's throw from the beach and the Nor' Easters blow most afternoons during summer - a lot of salty moisture in the air.
Franky, pics would be great.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
franky_888 said:
Superman said:
More sad news on the Masters boxes is the "Everday low price" of $10 seems to be $19.95 now

Make sure you have your hands on the right one. I nearly fell into this trap when I bought my three.

https://www.masters.com.au/product/900030640/weatherproof-box-for-outdoor-power-connections

There's one with a powerboard / timer included ($19.95), the standalone box is $10.00.

Good to know. i didn't really look at them at all. just saw them when i walked past.

franky_888

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
My main concern is our proximity to the beach. We live a stone's throw from the beach and the Nor' Easters blow most afternoons during summer - a lot of salty moisture in the air.

I'd say any form of active cooling is going to be bad for your stuff in that environment!

Here's the pics as promised. I dremeled off two of the support ribs, then mounted the fan. Note how the side of the case has been pulled out of line slightly due to the fan's installation. I think this has more to do with my method of installation than the fact the fan is mounted, but as it stands currently this enclosure will remain undercover.

2014-11-04 17.32.30.jpg 2014-11-04 17.33.20.jpg
2014-11-04 17.36.00.jpg