Virtual Santa from Christmas Light Show

burner

Full time elf
Will this work with a normal data projector or does it need to be of a certain type? I have a spare Epsom emp-x5 at home I could use with a netbook.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
We're using Virtual Santa this year, I'm popping him in hubby's room window. We bought a cheap projector from Aldi and just using an old laptop we have. Haven't worked out how to project him, but we'll try some of the suggestions posted. I like the painters plastic, cheap! ;)

MarcD

Full time elf
We're also using Virtual Santa this year. I had an old Benq PB6200 in the office I wasn't using. We did an experiment first. Our front bedroom window has double blinds. One is a fairly transparent white one, while the other is a blockout blind. We set the projector up on a small table at the end of the bed. I bought a $25 DVD player from Target, hooked it up with a simple composite cable and we put a movie on. From the street, you could easily see the movie. Not great quality, but it shouldn't matter.

I've bought and downloaded Virtual Santa, but haven't actually tried it yet. I suspect it will be popular. We decided that we're not going to play it in rear projection mode as most of the 'action' is on the left side and we have a fixed security screen on that side. Instead, we'll just play it as front projection. We've watched the whole thing and there is no text, so it shouldn't make any difference.

burner

Full time elf
MarcD said:
We're also using Virtual Santa this year. I had an old Benq PB6200 in the office I wasn't using. We did an experiment first. Our front bedroom window has double blinds. One is a fairly transparent white one, while the other is a blockout blind. We set the projector up on a small table at the end of the bed. I bought a $25 DVD player from Target, hooked it up with a simple composite cable and we put a movie on. From the street, you could easily see the movie. Not great quality, but it shouldn't matter.

I've bought and downloaded Virtual Santa, but haven't actually tried it yet. I suspect it will be popular. We decided that we're not going to play it in rear projection mode as most of the 'action' is on the left side and we have a fixed security screen on that side. Instead, we'll just play it as front projection. We've watched the whole thing and there is no text, so it shouldn't make any difference.

Which website did you use for the purchase/download? I thought they sent out a DVD only.

MarcD

Full time elf

burner

Full time elf
That's for that. I just assumed buying it from Christmas Light Show that it would be sent via snail mail.

Our only problem is where to fit it in. Unfortunetly the best place for it in our house is facing the balcony doors upstairs (middle of house), but we will need to devise a plan to stop the light entering my daughters room while she is sleeping.

MarcD

Full time elf
We have a similar problem. We have two dogs (one is a Golden Retriever) who like to jump on the bed to see out the window. We'll have to keep the bedroom door closed to stop them tripping over cables and sending Santa flying.

burner said:
That's for that. I just assumed buying it from Christmas Light Show that it would be sent via snail mail.

Our only problem is where to fit it in. Unfortunetly the best place for it in our house is facing the balcony doors upstairs (middle of house), but we will need to devise a plan to stop the light entering my daughters room while she is sleeping.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
That looks great, Ive had mine going one or two times. Just need to put my screen up when the time comes (tonight probably) and seat the projector and dvd player right.

I have it setup on a timer but unfort Im still going to have to manually "push play". The remote certainly wont reach from outside to a 2nd storey bedroom. Might have to get my daughter to run back and forth each night, lol.

Hitfactory

New elf
Virtual Santa from Christmas Light Show

Does Virtual Santa work if you put it in a dvd player connected to tv and sit that in window bay? No use of projector

MarcD

Full time elf
Re: Virtual Santa from Christmas Light Show

I doubt it would have anywhere near the same effect. It relies on the image taking up the entire window. It would just look like a video playing on a TV.

Hitfactory said:
Does Virtual Santa work if you put it in a dvd player connected to tv and sit that in window bay? No use of projector