Virtual Santa from Christmas Light Show

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Does Virtual Santa work if you put it in a dvd player connected to tv and sit that in window bay? No use of projector

Yeah, the whole idea is to have the image pretty much life size, hence the usual use of a projector.

BenGus

New elf
I have it on a TV in our 'Santa's Workshop' window. Not as effective as on a projector, but a neat effect all the same. You can see it on my display video in the 'Show-Off Arena' forum :)

I did have to do some video editing in Premiere to change the source to widescreen and blow it up a bit so that Santa looks a bit bigger. Happy to help you out if you decide to do the same.

Hitfactory

New elf

I downloaded the virtual santa last night. Just need to figure out whats best material to project upon as well as get a projector. Have to keep the cost down as the wife will kill me. I have the CLAP!

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!

Hitfactory said:
I downloaded the virtual santa last night. Just need to figure out whats best material to project upon as well as get a projector. Have to keep the cost down as the wife will kill me. I have the CLAP!

I used Lycra (cost around $20) and stretched it quite a bit! See my post a few up for my test run.

MarcD

Full time elf
Re: Virtual Santa from Christmas Light Show

Shop around for a projector. Try places like Officeworks or local computer shops. Perhaps even eBay for a second hand one. Just beware with second hand ones because you have no idea how many hours are on the bulb. Someone here bought one of the projectors Aldi had on sale a few months ago. You shouldn't need anything too expensive.

Hitfactory said:

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!

Hitfactory said:
Kaden.

Where did you get the lycra from?

I got mine from spotlight. It's not the only material to use, but because it stretches it is very forgiving.

tracey29

New elf
Hi all, sorry am new to this site so not even sure if I am doing post right lol. I am also purchasing the Virtual Santa download and wonder if there is any particular projector I need as I am not familiar with different features they offer. Just looking for a cheapy.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Any projector will really do the job, the more "specced" up the projector I guess the clearer the picture. Its really all about distance away from the screen and focus.

MarcD

Full time elf
While talking about how successful virtual Santa had been in our display, I went back to the site last night and found a new version with Mrs. Claus. We figure it might mix things up a bit and confuse some of our regulars.

Link is here.

MarcD

Full time elf
Further to this, I just found out that the Mrs Claus video is actually 15 separate video files. We're going to add just some of the scenes to our existing virtual Santa video just to mix things up a bit.

I'm just waiting to hear back that I can download it rather than waiting for a DVD to come from the states.

Update: I didn't receive a reply to my e-mail so I searched elsewhere. I found this eBay store which had it available for the same price and as a digital download. Not only did he send the download link within minutes, he also sent me a download link for virtual Santa for free (not knowing I already had it). I can confirm that these are all individual files in multiple formats. In total, it's 367Mb.

ShellNZ said:
Has anyone seen any other Xmas projection videos around? Not really that keen on the Mrs Clause one.