3.x [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Re: [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

i will be using the app every second night or something..
i will make my sequence not touch the matrix on them nights (since my show runs off the pi)
so i will be setting up the old show computer just for this app

(i would love if it was possible to integrate this with the falcon player) but im dreaming a bit too far ahead for that

elnino

Full time elf
Re: [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

that's exactly why I was looking for this option - I specifically do not have my display PC connected to the internet as I have random ethernet cables for E1.31 in the front yard so I don't want people being able to use my internet.

What if...
You implemented a 'spool' folder - Where files in a directory were read in? It would be simple to implement and this would give massive potential for all sorts of interfaces (twitter, FB,SMS,Web page etc) Then the end users could come up with their own way of interfacing whatever mechanism they wanted.

I am really wanting to implement SMS this year so this tool comes at a perfect time but to me, direct SMS via a GSM modem is a much simpler option. However, I can see the effort vs reward for implementing a full serial and AT command set for reading SMS from a device is probably not worth it (but it's not that hard). So, if I handled the SMS part and your app just reads some text files with text to display, that would be cool.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

elnino said:
that's exactly why I was looking for this option - I specifically do not have my display PC connected to the internet as I have random ethernet cables for E1.31 in the front yard so I don't want people being able to use my internet.

What if...
You implemented a 'spool' folder - Where files in a directory were read in? It would be simple to implement and this would give massive potential for all sorts of interfaces (twitter, FB,SMS,Web page etc) Then the end users could come up with their own way of interfacing whatever mechanism they wanted.

I am really wanting to implement SMS this year so this tool comes at a perfect time but to me, direct SMS via a GSM modem is a much simpler option. However, I can see the effort vs reward for implementing a full serial and AT command set for reading SMS from a device is probably not worth it (but it's not that hard). So, if I handled the SMS part and your app just reads some text files with text to display, that would be cool.

I could easily update my app to include reading from a text file as another option for retrieving messages. Would it be a single file that is changed each time a message is received and contains the message on one line or a new file each time? Give me some more details or an example text file and I can implement this within a couple of days.

Cheers

elnino

Full time elf

I would prefer a single file for each 'message'. Once the message was processed it would be deleted or moved to a 'done' folder.

As for the format of the file, that's up to you really - I would have no specific preference.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Too easy, I will whip something up over the next few days, just a bit busy at the moment.

I will have it process each file and add an option for the user to either delete or move the file.

The process would simple read the first line of the text file and display that as the message.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

elnino said:
I would prefer a single file for each 'message'. Once the message was processed it would be deleted or moved to a 'done' folder.

As for the format of the file, that's up to you really - I would have no specific preference.

As requested.

Version 3.1.19 - Added another Play Option. Can select to play messages from within text files. Added option to this is to either delete file or move the file to the processed folder after message has been played (selected in the Messaging Settings Tab). Also select the Text File Folder box for Text File location. Will process the oldest file first and will read the first line of the text file and display the message.

B_P_J

Full time elf

Hey mate, 64bit download no longer working, sorry just updated pc to windows 10 and installing all my programs again and realised I don't have this one yet, hope you have been well, shame your not coming to the Sydney Mini.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

bpj1980 said:
Hey mate, 64bit download no longer working, sorry just updated pc to windows 10 and installing all my programs again and realised I don't have this one yet, hope you have been well, shame your not coming to the Sydney Mini.

Sorry about that, for some reason it was no longer on DropBox. I have fixed it and you should be able to download.

I still don't know if I will be able to make it to the mini so I haven't said yes. I will try and get there though.

Geoff

B_P_J

Full time elf

Legend, thanks mate downloading it now and will try it on Windows 10 tonight, going to start using it a little more once everything is setup, look at it again, refresh the memory and get it working, lol

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator

Hi Geoff,

Well i'm going to add to Alec's thought on this becoming a FPP plugin.

It has been mentioned a couple times in Chat as well.

With more and more shows originally sequenced in Vixen and others and then using fpp to play back the show it's a shame not to have this great feature for use with fpp.

I can picture the ideal setup would be for the plugin to be able to pick up a local or remote file and then overlay that using the fpp overlay capability onto a matrix.
The SMS gateway functionality could still be run on another PC or even better incorporated into fpp and possibly run on a separate Pi/fpp, this could be PiSMS :)

Anyway this is a begging request to at least look at the possibility

Hopefully
Phil

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Sorry guys but I don't think I will be doing one for the FPP. Not this year anyway. I also don't think it's possible to have the features I have with my message app on the FPP.

Isn't there already a very basic message plugin for FPP?

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator

gnarmstr said:
Sorry guys but I don't think I will be doing one for the FPP. Not this year anyway. I also don't think it's possible to have the features I have with my message app on the FPP.

Isn't there already a very basic message plugin for FPP?

Geoff,

That's sad to here

Yes basic is the correct word...... and the reason to push for your vast talent to be used for the even greater community

:) :) :) :) :)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

I will not be doing any lights this year as I have had to move interstate, however a user of this app has said it wasn't working with Vixen 3.2.2.

I haven't hard much time to work with it but I have added a fix in Version 3.2.2 of my app that should fix your issue and be compatible with Vixen 3.2.2.

Just download it from the link in the original post on page 1. Ensure you uninstall the version on your PC first.

Geoff

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Version 3.3.1 released to provide compatibility with Vixen 3.3 and higher. See first post.