3.x [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Re: [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

Version 3.3u2 Major revision.

For those interested I have completely redone the Vixen Messaging App to make it look and feel the same as Vixen and to significantly reduce the complexity.

- The new version only excepts messages from Twilio, after using it for two sessions I felt that Twilio was the simplest and most efficient way to have the audience send messages to your Display.
- Updated to work with the latest Vixen 3.3u2 and above.
- Updated to use the latest Text effect, settings and added basic two color gradient.
- Can send an instant message to your Display.
- Can still send a countdown to a specified date message to your Display.
- Smaller, faster and cleaner.
- If there are any issues installing it then as per very first post, you may need to add an exception in your virus software.

[attachimg=1]

Download 64bit Version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3dp4nq9w3lwj2a/Vixen%20Messaging%203.3u2%2064bit.exe?dl=0

Download 32bit Version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc4bu37pfsi8uiu/Vixen%20Messaging%203.3u2%2032bit.exe?dl=0

Videos

Demo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkurn960dx6s9so/Vixen%20Messaging%20Demo.mp4?dl=0

Setup Twilio
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8qnogrjqnpga14/Twilio.mp4?dl=0

Control Messaging App from a Vixen Sequence
https://www.dropbox.com/s/28egjk9qmxmo8fd/Control%20Messaging%20From%20Vixen.mp4?dl=0

Attachments

• Vixen Messaging.jpg
    Vixen Messaging.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 38

ozdude

New elf
Hi Geoff,

Firstly good to meet you today and thanks for hosting the Mini this year. Thanks also to Steve, Brad, David and others for some very useful information and software.

Geoff, thanks also for you efforts with your SMS app for Vixen. I have managed to get it talking with Twilio and I will try to get it displaying on some P10 panels tomorrow.

I was wondering if I could make a suggestion/request for an additional feature. I was looking at the pricing for Twilio and it is currently US$6.00 for a number per month and US$0.0075 to receive a text and US$0.057 to send. Just basing those figures on say 1000 messages, thats about US$7.50 to receive and US$57.00 to send the response email for every message received.

I was just wondering if it is possible to include a tick box to enable/disable the response SMS sent back to sender. To take that one step further, maybe it could be next to each message. Eg. You may wish to select the message on for the blacklist message "You have been a naughty boy, please watch your language...." if someone is writing prohibited text but you choose to select off the standard response "Thanks for sending your message...." or any combination of those.
This would keep costs down for those that don't find it necessary to send a response.

Anyway, thanks again to you and everyone involved today, it was a great day and thank you.

Cheers
Wayne

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Hey Wayne.

Thanks for the feedback.

It already does this, just have nothing in the message boxes and it will not send a message back.

The one on the forum is an old version and I have made a few changes that I will post in the next week or two. You will need to uninstall then install new one.

ozdude

New elf
Hey Wayne.

Thanks for the feedback.

It already does this, just have nothing in the message boxes and it will not send a message back.

The one on the forum is an old version and I have made a few changes that I will post in the next week or two. You will need to uninstall then install new one.
Awesome Geoff, thanks for the reply.

Will give that a shot.

Thanks again for your great work.

ozdude

New elf
Hi guys,
I have just been playing around with some settings in Twilio.

As Geoff mentioned, deleting the messages you don't want to send an auto reply to does stop these from occuring. I did notice an annoying auto reply message that comes up from Twilio each time a text is sent and this is deducted off your credit each time. The message is something like "Thanks for the message. Configure your number's SMS URL to change this message..........."

I got rid of it by doing the following:
1. Log into your Twilio account
2. That should bring up "Console Dashboard", if not select it on the left of the screen.
3. Look down the page and you will see "# Phone Numbers". Click on "Phone Numbers"
4. Find your phone number in red (+61 4xx xxx xxx) on the left and click on that.
5. Scroll down the page until you see "Messaging" Under that you will see "A Message comes in". On the right of that you will see https://demo.twilio.com/welcome/sms/reply/. Delete the reply/ from the end so it should read https://demo.twilio.com/welcome/sms/
6. Click on "Save" at the bottom.

This should stop the annoying auto reply message and from what I can see has not affected any of the auto replying coming from the Messanging software.

Geoff, I hope the above is correct and feel free to correct me if there is anything wrong with what I have said. It seems to be working for me.

Cheers
Wayne

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
You are spot on. I thought I had that in the video but more then likely not. Thanks for posting it.

There maybe some minor issues in the Version you downloaded from here, for anyone else just wait a week and I will ensure I post the updated Version as it fixes all the minor issues and adds a few more features. The Version I showed at the mini is extremely stable with no known bugs.

For those reading this that are Xlights users then you can still use this app, you just need Vixen install and just add the matrix that you will display the messages on to Vixen.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Even if your an Xlights user you can still use this app with Vixen installed and just have a dedicated matrix for messaging. I use a 1x7 P10 panel matrix.

Ok so the mini finished and the family were out so I have updated the first post with the latest and greatest Messaging App.

https://auschristmaslighting.com/th...sage-to-your-matrix-megatree.7154/#post-64106

Please read the entire first post before installing.

I hope it gets some use.

Last edited:

ozdude

New elf
Thanks again Geoff.

I have updated to the new version and works perfectly. We are just messing about with three panels we had kicking around to get it working and then we will buy some more for our display. We have the panels working on a Beaglebone and Xlights, we are just getting our heads around Vixen now.

For those buying panels I just noticed these and thought we might get them and try them out. They are outdoor panels from Ray Wu and claim to have IP65 rating. They are only 4 bucks more than the indoor ones. Anyone had any experience good or bad with them?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...32601471511.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.DUJaA2

Once again thanks Geoff this is going to be a great addition to our display. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.

Cheers
Wayne

jordang

New elf
Hi Geoff,

Finally worked out a little 'easter egg' with the matrix getting it working on Vixen - the BBB works from the bottom left orientation when setting up the LED panels, was wondering why the messages were coming out upside down. :)

This is a fantastic program - dead easy to use, it's a credit to you!

now the tricky bit... making it so that not just bad language, but dodgy phrases are kept out... :):) Wayne (ozdude) and I have been testing some messages, the whitelist is the way to go, but now i'm concerned about smart alecs' putting something about Santas fictional status on there or something... :)

Geoff

Last edited:

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
The messages displaying upside down is not my app and is the way you have set up the matrix in Vixen. This is very common.

I wouldn't worry too much, although I have only used the app for two christmas's I haven't had any bad words get through using the blacklist. You are aware that you can add to the list. The reason is the audience will try and send a common bad word that will not display and if they try again then their mobile number will be banned until you restart the app.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I created a new thread for this in the Software forum as although it needs Vixen 3 I want it to be seen by all as it can also be used by members that usually use xlights or other Software Sequencing tools.

There is also a new video in there for setting up Vixen just for my app.

*********** Please go to the new thread in the Software forum or click here****************

Last edited: