Vixen to Xlights and then back?

shanebou24

New elf
Vixen was getting extremely slow when patching. So i thought i would move to Xlights.

I recreated my show in xlights relatively easily then begone the task of sequencing. fast forward through learning curves and some blunders..... BAM we have a sequence i can send to FPP and everything is working and showing properly.

Wait in xlights can't...
1. just click and drag a effect from one element to another?
2. if have to effect overlapping i need to manually add layers?
3. I can't zoom in past 25ms in timing how would i accurately move/time effects to music?
4. I can't universally limit outputs per sequence?

I guess i don't see or understand the draw to xlights?

Katekate

Senior elf
1. just click and drag a effect from one element to another?
you can copy and paste
2. if have to effect overlapping i need to manually add layers?
yes
3. I can't zoom in past 25ms in timing how would i accurately move/time effects to music?
if its a 25ms sequence, then you can't go smaller than 25ms. if its only updating the lights every 25ms sequencing tighter than that isn't going to help you.
4. I can't universally limit outputs per sequence?
I don't even understand what this means.

bpratt

Senior elf
Sounds a bit like the old Resistance to Change (RC)Factor, and getting ones head around to a different philosophy of how to do things. :)

I'm sure there's plenty of people in the same boat who just can't see how to do things with a different package to what they are used to deal with. :)

shanebou24

New elf
i've just been powering through. no big deal. i would love to ease of life tips.

Dreamin

Full time elf
i've just been powering through. no big deal. i would love to ease of life tips.
There are lots of things I'm just discovering. In regards to 1 you can move elements up and down to different props, just click on it and press the up and down buttons on your keyboard. I struggled to highlight multiple items and bulk move things or copy and then someone pointed out that you have to deselect the radio button on the vocals to let it do that.
It's very powerful, but reading the manual, and checking out the keyboard short cuts is a must.