Warning Re Australian Customs

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I just received a call from DHL stating Customs had stopped a shipment as they were not happy with the invoice as this supplier had been flagged. Apparently they are cracking down on the LED products coming into Australia as they are all being written down in price on the shipping consignment notes.

They require the email trail and online proof of order. Invoice and Paypal receipt is NOT enough due to partial payments.

Be careful or it may get expensive .

This was Noeon strip from Simon Sun ( Topatom International) I would guess it is only a matter of time beforew Ray gets on the radar.

multicast

Senior elf
if you get caught once, you'll be flagged in the system forever.. Its just not worth the hassle!

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Just make sure its under the threshold and you have the evidence and then it doesnt mstter what the shipping note value says..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've had a few suppliers ask me what value they should write on the customs form (or invoice).

Some are surprised when I tell them to put the real (actual) value on.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had this issue recently where a supplier put down a low value which held up my order in customs as they wanted proof of purchase. It seems like its a common practice that customs are now very aware of.

Habbosrus

Back again
I deal with customs regularly and I can confirm there is a crackdown (nothing official of course). I have had a number of shipments delayed over recent months and especially in the past couple of weeks. They are asking for much more proof than ever before and questions I haven't been asked in the past. I suppose it's a good thing, just not practical sometimes. I have requested Ray to indicate true costs and to show all goods on my orders. The last one that turned up had values written down (slightly) again. It was well under threshold so I don't know why he does it. Probably force of habit.

dale82

Senior elf
I have always told Ray to write down actual price also. And I make sure I order under the threshold.

kane

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
I have requested Ray to indicate true costs and to show all goods on my orders. The last one that turned up had values written down (slightly) again. It was well under threshold so I don't know why he does it. Probably force of habit.

Probably because Ray (or more accurately one of the Rays) doesn't really even know what the threshold is. It's only Australia that has the $1000 limit. Many other countries have limits that are a LOT lower than this.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
penguineer said:
While I remember - the other thing I've seen is "gift" and no value recorded.....

Cheers!

Watch out for using the gift option. The customs regulations are changing here in US so not sure about you lads down under but the gift thing is becoming a flag to make customs suspicious of shipments. Best bet is to always use actual prices/costs and show everything ordered!
Once you get flagged, they will look closely at every order you do from then on! Not worth the hassle.
Also if you are honest about the orders, the customs people will recognize and not be so strick on checking you. They will become more of a random search on your orders as long as you follow the rules as it makes less work for them to not have to look so close at every package they get in.
The old adage that "Honesty is the best policy" can only help you in the long run.