Waterproofing Incan Strobes

BoonDogs

I am self diagnosed with CLAP
G'day Guys,

Anybody got any ideas on how to waterproof these strobes? Has anybody done this before? I'm going to be controlling them via an LOR CTB16PC, just by turning them on and off.

Attachments

• Strobe_Disco_Light_Stage_Light_1500w_Exposure_Strobe_Light.jpg
    Strobe_Disco_Light_Stage_Light_1500w_Exposure_Strobe_Light.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 16

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Do you have any further details on these as you may have much bigger issues than waterproofing them. As it says they are a 1500W strobe that equates to about 6A at 240V. That will be well above the channel current rating for this board if my memory serves me correctly. As it looks like it is a halogen globe in it the inrush current that is required until the filament reaches operating temperature is quite probably 40A or more for maybe 100mS. This on top of the 6A continuous rating is quite likely to take out channels very quickly IMHO.

BoonDogs

As far as I can remember, the ones I have are 1000W, but I'm assuming this will still be way above the rating. Maybe it would be worth making up a relay system to drive them instead

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Not sure where you got the "incan" from. Those look like standard xenon strobes and can draw quite high pulses of current from the mains.

I don't think I would be switching the mains using a LOR controller. A relay with a decent current rating would be better. Using the DMX / remote control input on it would be better again.

BoonDogs

David_AVD said:
Not sure where you got the "incan" from. Those look like standard xenon strobes and can draw quite high pulses of current from the mains.

I don't think I would be switching the mains using a LOR controller. A relay with a decent current rating would be better. Using the DMX / remote control input on it would be better again.

Not sure where I got the 'incan' from either :-\

I've posted on a previous thread to see whether I could use the remote control input, but no body had any ideas (myself included). It might be best to rig up a relay instead, and just use the LOR controller to turn the relay off and on.