Waterproofing LED Strings

kool-lites

Full time elf
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
179
Location
Baulkham Hills
MPH used Selley's All Clear to water proof his Pixel with measure success. read it here http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php/topic,267.msg1763.html#msg1763

So I am wondering if the stuff can also be used to waterproof Plain Old LED Light Strings.
The MSDS sheet for All Clear indicates it to up to 20% hydrocarbons (Heptane & Naphtha) and upto 30% Tolulene.

I would like to thin the stuff, dunk the whole light string in the bucket full and hang them out to dry.

Any ideas on what would be the best solvent to thin this product?
 

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Messages
1,386
Location
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Yes it can be thinned, did it to use the stuff in a syringe,

The clean up agent is Mineral Turps and that is what I used to thin the stuff I had.

One thing I will point out.

It Never seems to form a dry surface, it stays sticky for weeks and then goes sort of tacky, the thicker it is the worse it seems.

Maybe a different thinner might make a difference to it drying fully.

Cheers
Phil
 

fj

Apprentice elf
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
89
i'm interested in this as well.

i've emailed Selleys to see if they can provide an answer about thinning the stuff out. if i hear back from them i'll let you know.

i might also just get some and try some different thinning agents and see what happens.

thanks, fj
 

kool-lites

Full time elf
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
179
Location
Baulkham Hills
"ALL CLEAR is a solvent based co-polymer sealant that dries by solvent evaporation."
Turps is a good solvent and is safe to use but leaves a oily residue.

Tolulene is great stuff but can be dangerous. We used to use it to swell PVC spaghetti and slide it over connectors. I seem to remember it never really returned to its original state and was always a bit sponge.

I will probably use White Spirits or some other hydrocarbon based solvent.
Should be able to try it out this weekend.
Matt
 

fj

Apprentice elf
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
89
wow, i got a response from Selleys !! wasn't really expecting one so quick.

here's what they said:

Hi Scott

Thank you for your enquiry.

You would need to thin this product down down using Toluene (most paint stores stock it, Diggers sells this) and you would need to put it into a jar and shake extremely well for several minutes.

Kind Regards
Tim

Selleys Technical Service
Please Reply With History


i'll get some tomorrow and give it a try.
 

kool-lites

Full time elf
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
179
Location
Baulkham Hills
This is not meant to over dramatise the issues with Toluene, but having seen the affects on fellow works as well as cleaned up a major spill (in full breathing Ap) this stuff is dangerous. It is highly flammable and in high doses it affects your central nervous system.
Diggers MSDS Section 11 Health Effects states
"Acute:
Swallowed: Expected to be of low toxicity: LD50>2000mg/kg, Rat. Aspiration into lungs when swallowed or vomited may
cause chemical pneumonitis which can be fatal.
Eye: Irritating to eyes.
Skin: May cause moderate skin irritation (but insufficient to classify). Prolonged contact may cause defatting of skin
which can lead to dermatitis.
Inhaled: Inhalation of vapours or mists may cause irritation to the respiratory system. High concentrations may cause
central nervous system depression resulting in headaches, dizziness and nausea; continued inhalation may result in
unconsciousness and/or death.
Chronic: Central nervous system: repeated exposure affects the nervous system. Effects seen at high doses only.
Respiratory system: repeated exposure affects the respiratory system. Effects seen at high doses only. "

So don't use lots in a small enclosed area, work in a well ventilated area. Don't let the stuff soak into your skin, and don't drink he damn stuff. Live for next season. we would hate to loose you.
 

fj

Apprentice elf
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
89
kool-lites said:
So don't use lots in a small enclosed area, work in a well ventilated area. Don't let the stuff soak into your skin, and don't drink he damn stuff. Live for next season. we would hate to loose you.
great advice !!

i saw the warnings in the MSDS, it's pretty nasty stuff.

mix outside, wear gloves, wear face / eye protection - that's what i'll be doing for mixing and coating of lights.

be safe and save yourself some potential grief
 

fj

Apprentice elf
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
89
i cant' seem to find any toluene on the shelves. went to my local Bunnings, they had no idea what i was talking about, never heard of it. and one paint store in my area didn't have it either. i'll keep looking.
 

kool-lites

Full time elf
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
179
Location
Baulkham Hills
Try an automotive paint shop. I for the life of me can't image why you would be allowed to use Toluene in a home scenario.
 

christmas-light

Apprentice elf
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
73
kool-lites said:
MPH used Selley's All Clear to water proof his Pixel with measure success. read it here http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php/topic,267.msg1763.html#msg1763

So I am wondering if the stuff can also be used to waterproof Plain Old LED Light Strings.
The MSDS sheet for All Clear indicates it to up to 20% hydrocarbons (Heptane & Naphtha) and upto 30% Tolulene.

I would like to thin the stuff, dunk the whole light string in the bucket full and hang them out to dry.

Any ideas on what would be the best solvent to thin this product?
Hi

Yes you can, here is how we do here in denmark ;)
 

Attachments

christmas-light

Apprentice elf
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
73
Hi

It is some transparent tub, there is with the led inside and then it is filled up with transparent silicone :D
 
Top