Waterproofing the RGB Modules

kidcole

My 4th year. Added RGB Last year, Pixels this year
I received an order of the Square metal modules from Ray Wu. The one's I purchased have four 5050 RGBs and a WS2801 chip on them. Upon inspection, I noticed that about half of them do not have the waterproofing clear material covering the 2801 chips. The other half seem to be nicely filled up with the waterproofing material.

These will be inside some CoroFlakes and will not have direct water but they could certaily get some surface moisture on them. This is my first experience with the 5050s, but I assume they also generate a fair amount of heat.

Should I be concerned about the bare spots on the 2801s and apply some additional waterproofing ? And if so, what type of material should I use that would not impact the light from the RGBs, or "be" affected by the heat ?

I will ping Ray's chat line to see what they have to say. I'll share their response in case they recommend some particular brand of material ...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I would contact Ray as you clearly didnt get what you ordered for half the lights, if you ordered IP rated modules then they should all have been IP rated, If they are not then contact Ray as generally he is very helpful in these situations

If its just because the top of the chip is exposed only but all the bare metal parts are still covered then i would say they would be OK, the best way is to test them under some water if thats the case

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The top of the chip being uncovered shouldn't be an issue as long as the chip legs are completely covered and moisture can't get into where the leg goes into the chip.