Waterproofing

BuffaloFan32

New elf
I built a display with 5 thousand ws2812's that is a prototype for a much larger display that I would like to build. The ultimate goal is for the larger display to be outside. Do you guys have any ideas about how to waterproof the LEDs and the display in their entirety? The LEDs I used were not waterproof and the ultimate display will be a very irregular shape so I cant just put plexiglass over it like I normally would. Thanks!

darylc

404 darylc not found
pictures would tell a thousand words in this instance

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Most of the WS2811 pixels sold these days are waterproof (encased in epoxy resin) and use waterproof connectors (well mostly waterproof, I use a bit of dielectric grease on them to be sure). Check this link for vendors from China and USA - suppliers
Many people these days are using one of the several Coro (corflute) prop manufacturers, check the Pixel Mounting products section of the wiki for suppliers, to mount pixels to.

BuffaloFan32

New elf
Good idea re the picture. Let's assume I already stupidly put all of the LEDs onto the display and they are just regular WS2812 strips. Now I want to figure out how to waterproof the display in a way that could be applied to a larger display that is not a flat surface.

Attachments

• View album Recents.png
    View album Recents.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

TerryK

Retired Elf
As already mentioned, my first suggestion would be to enclose the display in a waterproof 'box'. You mentioned plexiglass. Lexan (a tradename) is more costly but can be bent and with additional care and effort be thermally formed.

If no enclosure is possible, then you are probably after what is known as a conformal coating. Available as a liquid or aerosol, it will protect your display from dust and liquids but will be a real pain if or when you need to do any repair work. For what you mentioned, something that will not attack plastic or similar compounds I would think. Electrical houses; Mouser, Allied, Newark, carry conformal coatings. Amazon lists some too.