What acrylic tube does

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Michael,

mine arrived safe and sound… but i've been that busy they're still sitting on the verandah ! I managed to "locate" some trace heaters, but the max temp is 120 DegC, and I have completely failed to find a suitable spring to use as an internal support, looks like hot sand is the way to go

thanks for your efforts

Cheers
Fing

mborg10

Michael Borg
Bokines said:
Hi Michael,

What day of the Mini will you bring the tubes?

I will drive in on that day rather than using light rail.

Cheers.
I will only be there on the Saturday. Can't make it Sunday. If you drive in on Sunday there will be more parking options and I'm sure you can leave the tubes in the room overnight.

mborg10

Michael Borg
After the Sydney mini yesterday I got motivated to have another crack at bending the tube.
I added some Velcro strapping onto the jig to hold the tube in place while I bend it.

I need to buy a bigger longer funnel cause while pouring the sand in just takes too long.

Sand takes a long time to cool down so 150degrees is more than enough.

A second pair of hands would be invaluable. There is a kink in the arch shown but that is because the tube hung over the edge of my workbench (spa cover) while I was locking the end in. It didn't occur while in the jig. If someone was holding the end I would have a perfect arch.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432446935.105667.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432446935.105667.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432446944.428818.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432446944.428818.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 53

Bokines

New elf
Hi Michael,

Got our 2 tubes home to Gosford from the Mini. Love them.

I'd like to purchase another 2 if possible.

Please let me know and when would be a good time for collection. We are pretty flexible.

Cheers

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
I have had a go at using the hot sand and a template using a sheet of ply and some 65mm drainage pipe cut in half and screwed into position.

I made a short video of my little helpers and I going through the process.

http://caboolturechristmaslights.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=199006761

The video is attached to my blog page, here is the link [SIZE=78%]http://caboolturechristmaslights.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/43410750-large-arches[/SIZE]

They haven't turned out too bad and there are no major kinks. My camera was not picking up the colour when I tested it with the strip inside but they do diffuse the lights nicely. ;)

mborg10

Michael Borg
Looking good mate, great work.
Good to see someone else has shown that you can bend the tubes.
A couple of things I have learnt that may help and make life a little easier.

I bought a 2x9 litre metal buckets. (about $8 each) So when the sand is heated on the bbq it can be poured into the bucket and only 2 trips will suffice. Approx 5.5kg of sand is needed.Just be careful cause the buckets get hot too.

I cut a 90mm PVC pipe in half length ways to support the tube while pouring in the sand and also transporting it too the jig. This keeps it nice and straight.

Great work and can't wait to see them in action

mborg10

Michael Borg
What a hectic month. I have now started at my 3rd job this year, (hopefully last)My mums horse died, I fully renovated and tiled my mates bathroom on his holiday house at Forster and the builders have finished at my house. So things are quieting down which means I can get back into bending the acrylic tube. PLUS Im now owed some big favours from my mate and he WILL be volunteering to help me.

Great to see that Bevo has had a go at bending the tube. I know people are afraid of stuffing the tube. I have stuffed 3 so far, but I paid the exact same amount for the tube as everyone else and you can imagine being in and out of jobs hasn't helped the bank balance. I still have about 40 tubes to sell if anyone else is interested. Still $30 each

Keep your eyes out for my 2015 acrylic tube leaping arches.

Gray_magic

The CLAP is highly infectous and incurable!!!
Has anyone tried transparent PVC electrical conduit? I have currently been using grey 25mm to zip tie my strip to and keep it straight. But this year I have thrown all the dumb strip in the bin as it was stuffed and now going with pixels. I thought about the same concept but threading the pixel inside transparent stuff. Joining and attaching to the house would be very easy, just using a few saddles. Just wondering if anyone knows how it would go in the sun. The stuff I am looking at said UV stable.. So I'm thinking it will go alright..

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi,

Clipsal used to sell transparent conduit, as it gets used in very high security installs so you can see if the enclosed wires have been tampered with…… I tried to get a price from my electrical wholesaler, but was told that it is discontinued and was extremely expensive when it was available. It would be interesting to know if another supplier still makes it.

Cheers
Fing

mborg10

Michael Borg
LAST CALL
Hi everyone
From an order of 200 tubes we are down to the final 10 available for purchase. They are $30 each and when they are gone they are gone. So basically this is LAST CALL
(People who have paid and have left tubes in my care, I still have them aside. Don't worry)